Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Otari MKIII Head spot Question and a few beginner questions

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    The goal is to get the guides (at least the really badly worn ones) turned to a good spot before the tape gets here. The guide right before the erase head is worn a lot more at the top than the bottom which is what really made me want to get the guides rotated before playing tape on it... not that one tape would matter that much. I figure now is a good time to do it while I'm fired up about having the machine and no tape to play.

I gather from common consensus thus far that the erase head "is what it is" and I need some testing to see what it really does. So I'll do just that when I get the tape in a few days.

Thanks
    whoops I accidentally re-did the same post
    Last edited by JoeisREELcool; 4 Weeks Ago at 20:38. Reason: duplicate

Thanks
    If the guides aren't evenly worn from top to bottom then it is worth checking the whole tape path to see if anything is bent. Bent tension arms are often a cause of this sort of problem.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesperrett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
    If the guides aren't evenly worn from top to bottom then it is worth checking the whole tape path to see if anything is bent. Bent tension arms are often a cause of this sort of problem.
    Ok, the one before the erase head was the only one with serious uneven wear in my opinion. The one before the capstan looked a little but I'd think the arms wouldn't affect the wear since the capstan is in fact right after that guide and the first thing before the erase is the roller that generates the time for the counter. Is there a standard method for checking the guide arms? I dont thing it'd be easy to put an indicator on.

Also all the guides have been rotated now. The methods and work required took a bit so I'm thinking of posting a how to when I get a chance to set down and put up all the pictures and stuff.

The wear I was talking about should be clear in the earlier pictures I posted. You may have to zoom in a bit though.
    If you need I can blow up the part with the guide and repost it. Just let me know��
    Last edited by JoeisREELcool; 4 Weeks Ago at 19:35.

Thanks
    So as an update, with the wear problem aside, the tape is on and after properly setting up 1 JBL monitoring speaker (no sterio yet) the playback seems really close to what you hear when you monitor just the source. So, pretty good.
    The problem is, wouldn't be right without a problem or two, the time isn't tracking properly. It tracks in reverse sometimes.

But that's just an update. I was able to get it to tack properly by moving the counter wheel up and down (it seems designed to move this way a small bit) then doing a take. And after being inside it for a while getting to the guides I dont have much doubt I'll figure out the problem quite quickly as I do this kind of stuff all the time.

Thanks for your guys' advice thus far!

Thanks
    Also I've been uploading pictures using the icon in the message box thing but I haven't seen them upload since the first post is there a trick?

Thanks
    Another quick update

The time tracking is back to normal. There is a cog shaped wheel that spins the cog like parts past a sensor that together creates the time for the tape(I can post a picture later if I figure out how). So, I unscrewed the sensor part and moved it out from the wheel so I could clean the contacts on the sensor with alcahol and q-tips with most of the cotton material removed for clearance.
    Now the time is almost dead accurate and I can fast forward through half of the tape and end up almost exactly where I left off (I tested it). So all seems to be working.

The only thing left is the tape path checks and there seems to be two wires hanging from the back of the meter part of the unit. They are fed through the same small spot where the nab eq switch is, not sure why. My closest guess would be for a direct head out, but why would they do it from that spot and why would a radio studio need that kind of thing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
    You were spot on. After just visually inspecting the arms, I found the one before the heads was quite bent. So I carefully straightened it while comparing both sides to a steel ruler. After putting the guide arm back on the machine I noticed the tape was right in the center of the guide as opposed to rubbing one side.
    So thanks! I would've probably never noticed otherwise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeisREELcool View Post
    So thanks! I would've probably never noticed otherwise.
    Seems to be a common problem with Otaris - I've had a similar issue on my MTR90.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    Ok, so at this point everything is working near perfectly on track 2 and I just got done opening the top section with the gauges for cleaning the electronics and lubricating the pots with fader lube f100(from deoxit). The board look great with pretty much zero dust at all basically in new condition. And the wires I mentioned earlier were found soldered to the same pin(but separate wires) of the two output xlr connectors. So probably a ground or something. Definately not something to worry about since it wont affect any circuits.

I was feeling so good I decided to actually read up some tape calibration procedures in the user manual so I can tune my setup a bit more which proved that channel two can be calibrated to work but channel one can't.

To be sure the test tone was getting to the tape through the test tones built in I plugged in my old "function generator." I played some test tones by running some wires from the BNC to the xlr input. What I found was that at 100hz the signal has the most output 1khz is less and 10 khz is about a total of 10 db under 100 hz and out of adjustment to fix by eq. It is also worth mentioning that channel one needed a bit of eq at 10 khz to get to zero at 15 ips. But the response is relatively even across the board.

I have only done adjustments as stated in the user manual. No head adjustments or internal circuit board stuff yet. I don't have an oscilloscope yet so I don't want to fool with the head until I get the right stuff (probably an MRL calibration tape included). I'll look at some of the electronics related to channel one and see if anything can be cleaned or adjusted. Any idias to what this may be?

Ps: sorry if I ramble too much. I get excited about this stuff.

Thread Information