Otari 8 track

Ashurbanipal

I'm looking at an Otari MX5050 8 track asking price $2000. I know I can get one for a lot less, but it has had a lot of work by supposedly qualified people and looks to be in top shape. Is that too much $?

Here's the details:

New Athan Pinch roller 2007
70% heads as of 2004, never used since I got the heads checked
Power supply recap June 2008
Relay upgrade June 2008
Rebuilt capstan motor from AMP June 2008
Locater and hard to find Remote with roll around stand for both (CB116 and CB110)
Roll around stand for the recorder
Rare extender cards for channels cards and master card
Original Manual with original addendum (more schems and notes)
Brand New IEC 1/2" MRL 15ips on ATR tape
One Reel of new Quanegy 456 or ATR 1/2" it's aligned with, will be erased
Leader tape
Polyurethane cleaner for the roller
Razor blades
Head Cleaner w/ q-tips
1 spare electronics card
1 spare capstan motor
2 parts capstan servo cards
1 spare locator
empty reels and extra used tape

Seems pretty steep. I see them for $300-$700. The MRL is a couple hundred bucks. Does it need to be shipped or is it local?

He's including the MRL. I will pick it up. I've seen $300-700 but those are always as is with no work done on them. He's charging a lot because of the upgrades and new parts and calibrating it. I'm new to tape so I'm not sure I want to mess with a machine that isn't already running right. And I don't really know how much all this work would cost on an as-is machine that's 300-700. Thanks.

Last edited:
I personally think that this is not such a bad deal, especially of the work done, included accessories and I'm assuming local. Heck, offer the guy 1500 and say that's the best you can do. See what he says.

I personally think that this is not such a bad deal, especially of the work done, included accessories and I'm assuming local. Heck, offer the guy 1500 and say that's the best you can do. See what he says.

That's what I was thinking. I've got an Otari 8 track. $550 for the machine, $400 in work, $150 for the alignment tape, $40 for the manual, plus yours has all the toys with it. The economy sucks, I'd offer him $1500 too and see what he says.

Back