Opinions Please: Rollaway Rack Layout

Rich Smith

Your Opinions Please:

I'm setting up a rollaway Analog Recording Rack with equipment I've saved over the years, inherited from friends, or picked up cheap. Even the rackmount stuff is vintage, but I've never used rackmount stuff before. Intended use is mic'd Vocals & Acoustic Instruments.
(Hmm.... but I do have a little Fender Frontman 25R back there somewhere, so who knows.)

With the practicalities of recording in mind, please give me your thoughts on the following top-to-bottom equipment layout:

ON TOP OF RACK:
- Tascam 246 Portastudio

INSIDE RACK (12 Spaces available):
- Furman PL-8 Power Conditioner
- StudioMaster FCP1, 4-Channel Phantom Power Supply
- Aphex 104 Aural Exiter
- Lexicon MPX 100, Dual Channel Processor, Reverb etc.
- Alesis 3630,Dual Channel Compressor
- Tascam 122 MkII (Mixdown)
- Tascam 102 MkII (Tape Copying)

MIC's and ADD-ON's:
- Best Mic's: Audio-Technica AT3035; Shure SM57; and some other cheapies.
- 7963 Fender Reverb (original '63 in/out reverb only)

I'd also appreciate your advice on equipment cabling; or anything else that comes to mind.

Thanks,
Rich Smith

Seems like it would work. Does the porta studio have insert points or effects send/returns? The 3630 is kind of a dog IMO. Playback through a home stereo is totally doable.

Talldog,

Yeah, the Tascam 246 Portastudio has 2 effects send/returns. (The 246 is the last big old 4 channel with VU meters, 1/4" input/outputs, AC line in/outs, and most features of the newer models except phantom power.)

Tell me about the 3630. Do you think it's okay for basic compression on mixdown if I don't push it? Or should I get something else?

Rich Smith

Back