Opinions on the condition of this head

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
The one in the picture below, not mine pleez...:rolleyes:

Reproduce%20Head.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like even ware to me, with no visible gap, which is a good indication of "reasonable" use. Hard to tell how much metal is still left though and if it can handle a re-lap but I think the heads are in at least fair shape.:)

I don't think they are...I think its just gunk...so are you saying a relap might be just thing if they are pitted, or even if they aren't? "Otherwise a re-lap might be just the thing." Did you mean to say "If so" instead of "Otherwise"?

Yeah I know the drill, but does it look weird? I've never seen a stack like that with slots adjacent to each track...

Yeah sweetbeats, it does look funny with the slots on each track. Usually those are filled in with some kind of clear substance...

So...you bought the d*** thing didnt you!!!!

If I had to GUESS, I would suggest that those bridges between the individual track heads had something to do with track separation. There should be a mu metal shield that closes over the head when in use for electromagnetic shielding. Perhaps in some way these bridges were an Ampex trick to cut the magnetic effect of one tracks head on the adjacent tracks

Im guessing here

The places to ask are at the Ampex List and rec.audio.pro.
+1
The Ampex List is great (unlike the late-and-not-lamented-uber-uptight Studer List). And one of the regular posters there, Steve Puntolillo of Sonicraft, is like a bizarro sweetbeats with his all his crazy restoration projects. :D Fun stuff to follow.

When you say "Ampex List" you're talking about the email listserv through recordist.com? And where do you go at rec.audio.pro to ask?

So...you bought the d*** thing didnt you!!!!

not sayin'.

Back