Open Reel Tape-In A Pancake

Bloodbone

Pardon my ignorance,as I'm just now starting to try and learn about analog recording,and have no experience with it.
When tape is sold "in a pancake",what does this mean?
Thanks.

That it doesn't come on a reel. Basically, you don't want that, unless you are an experienced high volume user. ;)

As I understand it, pankakes usually have a hub, but no flanges. That makes them fiddly to use (you have to carefully mount flanges before usage), and sensitive to store...

Bloodbone said:
Pardon my ignorance,as I'm just now starting to try and learn about analog recording,and have no experience with it.
When tape is sold "in a pancake",what does this mean?
Thanks.

A pancake is tape on a hub with no flanges. Think of it as a refill. It's a piece of cake (well... pancake) to put the flanges on (three screws for Ampex/Quantegy). It's cheaper to buy in pancake form and the way to go if you have empty reels or bad tape on reels you want to replace. Quantegy pancakes come sealed in the same style box like the flanged version. You simply put the reel flanges on and put in the box the same way as if Quantegy had put the reel flanges on for you -- nothing to it.

-Tim
:cool:

Bloodbone said:
Beck-where can I get some reel flanges?

US Recording Media has a 10-pack for $59.00. That's all I've seen lately. You'll need screw sets, which they have as well. You can find the screws at most hardware stores like ACE or Lowes, but you'll probably want to have at least one set for reference so you'll know what type and size to look for.

http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/takupreeland.html

Last edited:
Looking at that site,here is what I think I need:

1.AC6372AC11 - 1/2" HUBS 5-PACK - $12.97
2.AC6454H50 - BARREL BOLTS (3) - $2.19
3.AC6454-10 - METAL FLANGES 10-PACK - $59.97

All I'm really wanting to do immediately is to be able to use the tape from one pancake of 1/2" tape.
Will these 3 items allow me to do that?
Thanks for your time.

Well, don't the pancake have hubs already? Is there something recorded on that tape already? How many pancackes do you have?

regebro is right - you don't need AC6372AC11 - 1/2" HUBS 5-PACK - $12.97 becasue a tape purchased in panckae form already has the hub. Unless you want to divide the tape between several reels.

Otherwise all you need is the reel flanges and screws.

Back