Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Open Reel Deck

Thanks

Open Reel Deck

Sign in to disable this ad
    Yo guys! I think I could use a little tech support here. I just came into possession of a Roberts 1725- 8L III. First, does anyone have any idea where I can track down owner's or repair manuals for this antique? What I know is this- It was made by Akai for the American market. It's early-seventies vintage is given away by the 8-track cartrige player in the side (how quaint). It is heavier than a box of bowling balls, which leads me to believe there are some bookoo transformers in there somewhere. Lastly, this is the best news- The hands of a top notch analog tape deck repair guy have been in this box within the year. Some transistors have been replaced, and it was given a clean bill of health.
    I will probably use it mainly to extract a bunch of archived (old) tape to more stable media. Then I might play around with tape delay and try some of the tricks that involve digital and analog together. Any info is helpful. Yeah, I do sort of remember the days of scotch tape and sharp scissors, but for some reason, my memories of that time aren't that crisp. Ha! But I do want to extract this data, and it does give the studio a sort of retro ambience. So does anybody have any familiarity with this antique? Come on, fellow oldtimers.-Richie

Thanks

Thanks
    I think I briefly owned a Roberts Reel to reel about 30 years ago but, my memory too is kind of fuzzy from that era.

Do you have a picture of this beast for us to gawk at?

Cheers!

Thanks
    LOL Check out this crazy pic!

http://www.stereomanuals.com/images/rick_system_02.jpg

The VU's on that Power amp are NOT playing around at all!

Thanks
    Thanks, the second link did have some useful stuff. FM- I'm working on a picture, but we're pretty flat out. We're a week away from mastering, making final tweaks to the mix. Much listening sessions. Woo hoo!
    Anyway, this deck confuses me a little. It has 2 high-Z mic inputs, 2 clearly marked channel I/O's, and 4 big buttons labled 1,2,3,4. I'm thinking it might be a primitive 4 tracker that can only record 2 tracks at a time. Could this be "sound on sound"?
    The cool part is the archives. I've managed to find a makeshift power cord for it and get it to play, and the first cut was "Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Richard Strauss, with jazz/rock fusion lead by Richard Strauss III, the grandson of the nephew of the waltz king. And I can tell you, it's in the damn DNA. My can that guy play lead guitar!-Richie

Thanks
    Billy,

Nice picture but, not a single Roberts machine in the bunch there!

Everything in that photo was Pioneer.

Damn! They made some nice stuff back then!

It's kind of sad when I saw on CNN yesterday, people lining up to buy a $39.00 DVD player made in China out of plastic

How the mighty have fallen.

Thanks
    Richard,

unless there are 4 VU meters on the deck it just a 2 channel, 4 track machine, meaning it is designed to play stereo only and at the end of the reel, you flip the tape and go again in stereo on the opposite side. All kind of like a cassette but without the shell to hold the tape reels together.

The 1,2,3,4 buttons might be for mono recording and getting better tape economy for speech recording applications.

A picture would help

Cheers!

Thanks
    We're working on a picture, Ghost. Thanks for the input.-Richie

Thanks
    The sound on sound feature works like just rewinding and recording again on the same tracks but with the erase head out of the picture.

Thanks
    Hi Richard,
    I think your model is similar to Akai 1810, with a 8-track player mounted on the side.
    Those 4 pushbuttons is for changing the tracks when using the 8-trackplayer.
    It is a 4-track deck and if you got the built in amp with speakers mounted on each side of the cabinet, you can use it as a portable unit... kind of heavy I know.
    Some were without the built in amp, so a picture will be helpful.
    I have a couple of the Akai decks with 8-track and the sound is pretty good Richard.

Best regards
    Vintage TX
    Vintage TX

Thread Information