One down one to go

Looks kinda beat, but hey, for 10 beans why not?
(I'm sure you know Herm, but just in case.. You need two of the noise reduction units... Each one handels 4 channels, PLUS there is a special cable involved as well)

:)

Yea I know. There is another one on ebay now that looks alot better that Im bidding on but it dosent go off for 5 more days.

Um, I guess since you called it "One down and one to go" that you do know it takes two... Oops.

I don't know how much you'll end up paying after bidding and with shipping (Or how much you're willing to pay), but there's a 'Music Go Round' that has one for $80 in Orland Park (I think).

Thanks for the heads up there Billy. I am working on another one that is on ebay now Im going to try and get it a a descent price first since I alread bid on it. If i dont get that one I would like to get the number of that place you mentioned if you dont mind getting it for me.

Deltronics called today and said my 388 is done and ready to be picked up. Less than two weeks isnt to bad.
Looks like a trip to chicago saturday! Dang 5 and a half hours in the truck:(

Well I got my 9.99 Dx-4d Noise reduction unit today and when i first looked at it I thought well it looks just like the picture dirty and had a little rust on the back corner and a few little specs on the front. Over all looked like it should go in the trash.

After crawling to the back of the table and figuring out how to hook it up, (thank god the instructions came with the tape deck manual) plugged it all in and Bam it works!

Could not believe it. One more and Il be ready to rock
:D

Herm,

Congrats on the DX-D4 for ten bucks! Wow! now that's a deal. Especially that it works.;)

Maybe try some WD-40 on the rusty parts to clean that up a little?

Cheers! :)

Why is it Tascam didn't make 1 8 channel Dbx unit instead of 4's?
I would think so you could use 1 unit for a 4 track machine, but I thought they also make a 2 channel as well.
Is that just the easiest way to market it, like a 2 for two track, a four for 4 and then instead of manufacturing a two rack space chassis, they just sold two 4 channels???

Billy,

re. the DX-4D

I think, yes. It was just an easier way to market the dbx products to the 6 different models that they were designed for at the time.

Namely the 22-4, 34, 38, 44, 48, & 58

Many musicians/recording studio owners at that time were trying to piece their studios together as they could afford it and TASCAM knew this. They were on top of their game back then in trying to offer a variety of different machines to fit to different needs and budgets.

The previous generation of 8 track machines called the 80-8 did have a singular 8 channel dbx unit but, I don't think they sold too many of those as a quick look at the e-bay sales of those machines would show that the majority of the recorders for sale did not have the dbx units to go with them. When you look at the 38's for sale used, there is a higher percentage of them with the dbx units as part of the package so, it can be un-scientifically deduced that TASCAM's marketing department knew what they were doing back then.

When I bought mine, used, back in the early 90's it came with both dbx units and even the remote control as well as the very rare rack ears! All for the normal used street price of $1500.00 CDN. The machine with all the accessories when new, sold for $4600.00 with all the extras.

Cheers! :)

Ahhh.

The (Somewhat) modular concept of marketing products makes alot of sense indeed. (Good call)

Can you use 4 and 4? (8 track with one dx unit)

LOL

I mean (For example as in Herms case), if you have an 8 track, but only one dx unit can you get good sound with 4 tracks of noise reduction and four without.

(BTW-I'm gonna put some stuff together to send you today.)

EDIT: You reposted before I did, but you got what I meant.
(Hey what do you think of those M208 up for auction?)

If you pick your instruments wisely for the channels with and without, yes. You can still get very respectable results.

I would use the dbx channels for vocals and guitars and use the non-dbx channels for drums and bass guitar.

Or, any channels that had a constant and steady part going all the way through could effectively mask the tape hiss and dynamic parts that had quiet and louder parts, I would reserve for the dbx channels.

;)

Cool.

I can't wait to be able to dump seperate keyboard tracks on my 38 as opposed to a two channel sequencer fired mess of keys and drum machine on my Porta Two.
(It must rock to have 16 tracks!)

Hey Reel I bid on a dx-4d last night, It was at 66.00
and I thought ok should be able to get it for 101.00 at the last few seconds. No The guy had put more than 101.00 on it and i lost it at 102.00.

Hey Billy could you give me the phone numbe of that place up north that you thought had a sigle dx-4d .

Thanks

Hey Herm,

I thought it was the Orland Park location, but it looks like yet another adventure in urban regentrification might be coming your way. (Chicago's Wicker Park neighborhood.)

MUSIC GO ROUND®
1658 N. Milwaukee Avenue
Chicago, IL 60647
Phone: 773-342-2460

It's listed on their web site for $79.00

Last edited:
Back