older yamaha mixers

Dethska

Not a Mod
What's the word on older Yamaha mixers. Specifically the RM1608. I was looking at the older Tascam mixers, but this one is available and it's pretty cheap.
I was wondering what the preamps and eq are like on these things. Anybody know anything? Heard anything?

Your help is appreciated. :)

Also, it doesn't come with a power supply, how hard would this be to find. Thanks, smart analog guys!:D

The RM1608 was a stage mixer, designed for smaller bands, playing in clubs.

They were very large and heavy and not exceedingly clean and definitely not designed for quality studio tracking. They lack a lot of the connection point conveniences that older TASCAM boards would offer and they also lack any handy facilities for -10db, RCA phono jack connections for analog recorders.

If the unit in question doesn't have a power supply, you could be in a world of trouble trying to find one at this stage of the game and without a service manual, an almost impossible task to try and make your own from scratch, which won't be easy or cheap to do. So, factor that into the bargain price before you take a step that could be a doozie!!:(

Let the buyer beware!!

MUCH APPRECIATED!:D

I'll pass. I didn't know anything about it, and I know the craze here about older Tascam boards, and this looked similar. Guess looks aren't everything.:cool:

Yamaha RM1608

The Yamaha RM1608 is a recording console. 16 channel 8 buss. Its has 16 tape inputs. I have one in my studio and have recorded many albums using it. Its VERY clean and nice to work with. Excellent mic pres..

You should do some research before posting about products you know nothing about.

Check the Yamaha website for more info

Jim Myers

It's an inline 8-bus/0-sub design where the buses are designed only for recording output and not submixing. The specs for the powersupply are available in the manual:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/mixers/RM1608E.pdf

However, building a powersupply will probably cost you more than buying a full mixer WITH powersupply, so unless you get this one for free, I would give it a miss.

The Yamaha RM800 mixers are supposed to be really good, btw. The 24-channel version was on my list together with the Tascam mixers when I was looking for a mixer.

autumnghost said:
You should do some research before posting about products you know nothing about.

Well Jim Myers, (or whichever member you are who set up a quick account to flame with)

There's no need for all that. Just FYI, Ghost is one of the most pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful people on the board.

How 'bout a friendly, "I think you may have that model confused with something else." Wouldn't that work just as well?

Then again a lot of products that were billed as one thing didn't deliver as the brochure promised, so were employed in other ways. Maybe Ghost is familiar with the RM1608 and just doesn't care for it.

:cool:

Last edited:
No need to resort to flaming. OK, So Ghost was, unusualally, incorrect in this case. Nobody is perfect.

autumnghost said:
The Yamaha RM1608 is a recording console. 16 channel 8 buss. Its has 16 tape inputs. I have one in my studio and have recorded many albums using it. Its VERY clean and nice to work with. Excellent mic pres..

Check the Yamaha website for more info

Jim Myers

I concur. I own a 1987 RM1608 [Recording Mixer 16x8] (bought new) and it is in MINT condition. I still use it and would not part with it for my life. While it is not our SSL, it was our first console and several hit recordings were made on it. Infact, two gold records are hanging on the wall behind it. I forget the retail (I think it was under $10k) but we paid more than half of that new and well worth it. Never had to do anything to it, everything still works perfectly down to all the lights. Everything Yamaha makes (electronic, motor vehicles, etc.) are all superior quality with unmatched fit and finish.

SSL Pilot said:
I concur. I own a 1987 RM1608 [Recording Mixer 16x8] (bought new) and it is in MINT condition. I still use it and would not part with it for my life. While it is not our SSL, it was our first console and several hit recordings were made on it. Infact, two gold records are hanging on the wall behind it. I forget the retail (I think it was under $10k) but we paid more than half of that new and well worth it. Never had to do anything to it, everything still works perfectly down to all the lights. Everything Yamaha makes (electronic, motor vehicles, etc.) are all superior quality with unmatched fit and finish.

What were you recording on when it was in use?

pies said:
Noooo. That Ghost man is one of the most sneaky evil bushwackers you'll ever come across. He MUST be stamped out!!! The safety of the world as we know it depends on his total destruction!!!
I agree completely!

Perhaps the only member here in the history of the BBS that was more vile and treacherous was monty.

But, thankfully, he's moved onto to bigger and better cakes...and pies! :p

Cheers! :)

Jeff, aire you sayin' what I think yer sayin'? :D

Attachments

• edo.jpg
    edo.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 437
Back