Old Joe Meek Comp / EQ Units

Mickster

I have an old Joe Meek Comp/EQ model VC3 and a similar one, model VC3Q. Haven't used them in years. The comp can be bypassed on each so I was wondering if one of these units pre might be enough to cleanly raise the gain on an SMB7. (thinking of getting one) I currently use a Zoom R16 as an AI and a control surface and have never tried an SMB7 on it. The R16 pre's seem more noisy than they should be on higher gain than I normally use. The Joe Meeks pre's seem fairly quiet.

What do you think?

Hey....sorry to bump this post but I was hoping someone could give me their advice. I don't want to buy an SM7B unless I'm fairly sure that one of the Joe Meeks would do the trick.

At a glance it doesn't look like either manufacturer wants to share their gain specs so hopefully someone will have first-hand experience.

Do you have access to any dynamic microphone? Judging the level recorded from a 58/57 should be close enough to tell if working with a 7b will be comfortable.

Thanks Steen........I do have an SM57. I didn't realize the gain needs were similar. I'll do a test later today. I'll use the Zoom R16.....which does have a little pre amp issue with the SM57 gain and compare it.

The 57 will have a hotter output but, relative to your typical capacitor mic, the comparison is useful.
I'd go safe and say if you have plenty of room with a 57 then a 7b shouldn't be a problem.

If you're having to ride the gain at its extremes with a 57, 7b might just be too much.

The source makes a big difference too. I'd worry less if you're a one-trick metal screamer.
If you're likely to record quiet delicate performances, test that way. ;)

I think we need [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] :p

What! Bleugh!! Someone called? That specification is poorly written. Nowhere does it give a reference so we are left to assume dBu?

If the noise figure of 125dB means MINUS 125dBu then that is very good being just 5 dB worse than the noise generated by a 200 resistor at 20C and over 20-20kHz bandwidth. But, is that the basic figure or weighted?
Depending on the weighting that could be 5 to 10dB noisier than that figure implies.

The headroom looks very good indeed but then that is hardly a problem with an SM7b unless you are recording gunfire!

A test with a 57 should show the amp's mettle? If noise is not a problem for speech, a couple of inches back from that mic, probably OK for the SM7.

Dave.

[MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION]
Late to the party. I just ran across this thread.
I have a VC3Q and tested my SM7B with it, about 6 years ago. I seem to recall it would drive the SM7B. However, it lacks the oomph needed to really open up the 7B, like my CL-1 does. Let me dig through my archives. I may still have an audio clip of my VC3Q/SM7B tests. ...no promises though.

Back in 2012 and after [MENTION=99712]moresound[/MENTION] and [MENTION=29622]Seeker of Rock[/MENTION] gave me G.A.S., I bought this used VC3Q (the original model from when Ted Fletcher and the Joe Meek brand were still partners) that would not power up. After corresponding with Ted Fletcher on his BB, I sent it to the UK to him, for repair. He went through it, diagnosed, repaired, soak-tested it, and gave it his blessing, before shipping it back to me. I thought that was too damned cool, for him to offer to tune up an old, used, second-hand, piece of gear that bore his name. He returned it to me polished and pristine, like a brand new unit. LoL- he even put a inspected by/ tune-up date sticker inside the chassis.

You might be able to get the answer on his BB. He still checks it, or others may chime in.
TFPRO • View forum - Ask Ted
Dale
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey DaleVO........thanks for the info. Steen and ecc83 both suggested that I try the VC3Q and the VC3 with an SM57 because it has similar gain needs. The results were excellent. The 57 never sounded better........in a recording setting. The VC3 is the gold version. That one sounded the best. If you do happen to come across the VC3 tests......please post them....and thanks again for your help.

Back