Old 388 Tapes - What Machine To Use?

Mickster

Hi guys...I have a box full of old recorded Tascam 388 tapes / masters and the 388 is long gone. What a great machine that was though when it was new.

Anyway...I know the 388 tapes are 8 tracks on a quarter inch format. I never wondered before...but is there a machine...other than a 388...that would play those old tapes properly...without a lot of work? I'm guessing there is?

edit: If I was going to pick up a machine for these tapes I'd be looking for something that won't break the bank....you know? Suggestions?

Thanks....Mick

Last edited:
I don't know of one. Something like the Fostex R8 (or M80) has a similar head configuration, but will play them at double speed and uses Dolby NR instead of DBX. Potentially you could digitize the tapes with the NR turned off and slow them down digitally, but you'd also need to decode the DBX in software. A 388 would be a much surer bet.
Be aware that the tapes might require baking if they're Ampex ones. If in doubt, try to find a transfer service with a 388 and get them to do it.

+1 to everything he said. At one time I was trying to gather the head specs for the 388 to see if they matched the Fostex A8/R8/M80 machines...Fostex published their head specs in the owners manuals. Teac was not nearly so forthcoming. No published specs and Teac couldn’t help me, and even conversation with ex Teac analog folks solidified the specs were not at all well known even internally. My guess is it would be close enough, but I’m not sure. And “close enough” on a 1” 8-track is a whole lot more forgiving than close enough on 1/4” 8-track. If it was me I’d be trying to find a 388 to at least rent. Alternatively you can take the chance on a Fostex machine. I’d look for an R8 or Model 80 over the A series. And then as notes already you’ve got the tape speed and n/r mismatch which could be addressed with software utilities. But those are, to my knowledge, the *only* 1/4” 8-track machines ever made.

Wow......I have to admit I’m amazed. I guess I always figured there would be a way for me to transfer these tapes without a lot of hassle or expense. It’s my fault for not doing it years ago I guess. I have at least 10 full length reels of tracks.

Anyway....... thanks for your feedback...as always.

Wow......I have to admit I’m amazed. I guess I always figured there would be a way for me to transfer these tapes without a lot of hassle or expense. It’s my fault for not doing it years ago I guess. I have at least 10 full length reels of tracks.
Anyway....... thanks for your feedback...as always.

Yeah, sadly this is the drawback of those narrowtrack formats. They're nice and cheap, but because they're nonstandard you have a much smaller pool of machines that can play them back.
One of the big reasons I upgraded from the MSR-24 to a 2" 24-track is because there's a lot of machines out there which can play 2" tapes if mine up and dies - but 1" 24-track has only the TASCAM and Fostex decks, and they're not quite interchangeable either.

But yeah, there's a few places out there who can transfer 388 tapes to other formats, so it might be worth making enquiries if you can find out suitably close.

Yeah [MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION] I’m sorry it’s a bigger hassle than what you anticipated; totally get that. I want to second jpmorris’ comment about transfer service though. That may actually be the most time-efficient and cost-conscious way of doing this; getting your tapes transferred. No hunting for a machine, no hassles with trying to get the machine working right that was supposed to be right in the first place...send the tapes off, and get them back along with digital media. Most places are also conscious of and careful around SSS and proper handling of the tape. Some of them can do amazing things with restoring tape reels that otherwise would go in the trash enough to get a good transfer...saw one place that was able to successfully transfer tape reels submerged in flooding and then never dried out...moldy, etc. so it’s something to consider.

Yeah [MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION] I’m sorry it’s a bigger hassle than what you anticipated; totally get that. I want to second jpmorris’ comment about transfer service though. That may actually be the most time-efficient and cost-conscious way of doing this; getting your tapes transferred. No hunting for a machine, no hassles with trying to get the machine working right that was supposed to be right in the first place...send the tapes off, and get them back along with digital media. Most places are also conscious of and careful around SSS and proper handling of the tape. Some of them can do amazing things with restoring tape reels that otherwise would go in the trash enough to get a good transfer...saw one place that was able to successfully transfer tape reels submerged in flooding and then never dried out...moldy, etc. so it’s something to consider.

I have a working Fostex R8 and enough channels of dbx I to do a transfer like this. I've been doing this kind of work for about 20 years.

I think Rick might be your best answer. In communicating with Bob Shuster of Shuster Sound in NY, he said to me that the Fostex and Tascam heads were the same and that he used the other companies product on a deck he repaired. The problem with the 388 and any esoteric type format is that when you decide to get rid of the unit the first thing you need to do is get all the material you recorded onto another format as waiting a time might just cost more money. I don't even repair those 388 because they will not fit on any of my benches.
I have a 688 on one now and they are plenty big and complicated.

+1 to everything he said. At one time I was trying to gather the head specs for the 388 to see if they matched the Fostex A8/R8/M80 machines...Fostex published their head specs in the owners manuals. Teac was not nearly so forthcoming. No published specs and Teac couldn’t help me, and even conversation with ex Teac analog folks solidified the specs were not at all well known even internally. My guess is it would be close enough, but I’m not sure. And “close enough” on a 1” 8-track is a whole lot more forgiving than close enough on 1/4” 8-track. If it was me I’d be trying to find a 388 to at least rent. Alternatively you can take the chance on a Fostex machine. I’d look for an R8 or Model 80 over the A series. And then as notes already you’ve got the tape speed and n/r mismatch which could be addressed with software utilities. But those are, to my knowledge, the *only* 1/4” 8-track machines ever made.

Or beg / borrow / hire / steal machine and use your ears perhaps? If it sounds good, it is good, and vice-versa. In any case, you'll never really know what it sounded like 'way back when'. If it was a good many years ago, your hearing will probably have changed more than you might like to think, along with whatever space you're listening in

Back