Ok to post scans of TASCAM reference document?

analogkid

I Bleed Analog!
In with the manual and other paperwork for my TASCAM 42B, there is a reference booklet that does a REALLY good job of explaining Decibels and operating levels etc. This is a generic document that covers the basics, not a product specific one, and as far as I know it was freely availble originally. I was going to scan it and make it available to everyone here, but before I did so I wanted to ask as I don't want to violate site or forum rules.

AK

It's OK with me.:)

Were you planning to use an outside hosting company, from which we could download the document? That would probably be the best idea.:)

---

In with the manual and other paperwork for my TASCAM 42B, there is a reference booklet that does a REALLY good job of explaining Decibels and operating levels etc. This is a generic document that covers the basics, not a product specific one, and as far as I know it was freely availble originally. I was going to scan it and make it available to everyone here, but before I did so I wanted to ask as I don't want to violate site or forum rules.

AK

I would think that anything older than 17 years and out of print is fair game. Excerpts fall in the fair use catagory. And many of the tascam manuals that I have do not have copyright notices....

I would host the pdf on my own web site, just putting a link here. I will see about getting it scanned this week and uploaded.

AK

It is called Reference Data:

The dB: Who, what, Why
Impedance Matching and Line Levels
How The dbx Works

Really nice if basic primer on these issues.

AK

Sorry for the delays in posting this doc - my scanner is (of course) non-functional now that I need it!

AK

AK,

Thanks for doing this.

I have sections of this, and variations of it in my Tascam M520 manual as well as the manuals for my 48 and 58 atr's.

I've read through them many times and it has really helped me understand a lot of things. I'm now using the water-hose section to teach my 10 year old son about resistance/current/power. Its that good a document. It goes into just enough detail to express a good working knowledge without being too much. Useful for a wide age range and experience levels.

Its been said before, but I just don't see this kind of consideration and "helps" being put in a lot of manuals today, though there are specific primers in some...my ART TCS manual has a nice primer on dynamics processing which accompnies others that I have read, but the Tascam stuff like what you scanned/posted goes beyond just the specific product.

I'm glad we have documents that we can refer to from that era.

Back