Ok now, this is serious...

jake-owa

Banned
Who here has actually used one pass tape? Where did you get it, was is as good as new tape to you? How much did you pay?

I am looking for actual experience only no hearsay please.

I bought a few rolls of Ampex 456 a few years back off of a TV station that used the tapes for a one pass live production of a telethon.

The tape was not stored properly by the shop that sold it to me and it had the dreaded sticky tape syndrome.

Stay away from 456 from the early 90's and before and especially if it wasn't stored properly in vacuum sealed bags away from adverse heat and humidity.

Cheers! :)

That's not what I'm talking about ghost man.

There are companies that specialize in magnetically clearing the tape, inspecting and winding it nicely for use. I have heard many talk about it as being as good as new tape.

I am looking for folks who've bought this 'reconditioned' tape.
I am hoping to find a quality dealer that someone can vouch for.

Jake - I just checked out TapeTape.com... not too impressed with their selection. I like the concept though!

I did a google search and didn't turn up much more then tapetape.com.

Kevin.

Tape Tape

The cost savings at tapetape.com aren't good enough to buy their used tape over new. When you're talking a few bucks the risk of buying used is just to high. I see a lot of "one pass" on ebay, but who can prove it's not 2 pass or 10 pass?

Quantegy 456 can be found on the web pretty cheep these days.

Tim ;)

Re: Tape Tape

Beck said:
The cost savings at tapetape.com aren't good enough to buy their used tape over new. When you're talking a few bucks the risk of buying used is just to high. I see a lot of "one pass" on ebay, but who can prove it's not 2 pass or 10 pass?

Quantegy 456 can be found on the web pretty cheep these days.

Tim ;)
What is the risk exactly? Tape lasts a hell of a long time and as long as it's not gummy or shedding a reasonably well kept tape is a deal at less than half price.

Just my take..

WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

What is the risk exactly? Tape lasts a hell of a long time and as long as it's not gummy or shedding a reasonably well kept tape is a deal at less than half price.

If a tape is not sealed in plastic you don't know what brand or type it is, you don't know how old it is, you don't know how many passes.

There aren't a lot of honest people out there. I’ve seen enough scamming on the web to be a little cautious. Just think of all the ways a person could profit dishonestly with the “one-pass” story. And even if the site you buy it from is honest, how do they know for sure what they are passing along to you? Where do they get it? Who do they trust?

Even if it is indeed one-pass you still have to ask yourself -- if it’s not good enough for the studio to use it beyond one pass why should it be good enough for me?

As much as I have invested in my craft I'm not going to risk getting questionable tape to save a few bucks at the critical recording stage. I buy it new, then I know exactly what it is and how much it's been used.

Of course if your talking about tape just to goof around with it might be ok, but you still have to consider that the tape could be older than advertised -- tape shed and such. I use my own multiple-pass for that and use the new stuff for the important stuff.

You made a good point when you said, "Tape lasts a hell of a long time." Why not start with new tape so you know exactly what you have.

Tim
:cool:

Back