Oh oh: Tascam 424 MKII, wrong MANUAL !

Reilley

I just bought a Tascam 424 MKII, and the dang manual is for a MKIII. I can't even play a stereo cassette on it without the thing sounding like the soundtrack from a Godzilla movie. Where can I get a manual?

Thanks

Yeah, cool link. Another bootleg manual. Ha.

Anyway, quick tip, the normal stereo cassette will play in NORMAL tape speed on Tracks 1 & 2 only, with Tracks 3 & 4 off, & DBX off.

Thanks for that too, RP. Stick around, I'm just starting.

Fortunately, I also have the instructional video, which seems well done, from 5 minutes watching.

I'm going to be doing an Appalachian Hillbilly rap/disco thing, in French.

""Another bootleg manual.""

Oh.... I see.....

Can the manuals still be purchased for these machines? The machine is discontinued.... never occurred to me that anyone would care about the intellectual property rights for the manual for a dead duck, but I don't know.... if I can buy one, I will.

I was mainly concerned about...... (blush.....) whether or not these things - I can hardly say it - contained a driver, or need to run through an external one.

There, I said it.

===
By the way, thanks for all the help, everyone.

Ahhh Mr Verner.

Good to see you and good to see you popping in with some help.

I was pretty impressed with your article from Popular Electronics... I actually remember seeing that article when it first came out.
Hopefully you are busy conjuring some other technically ghoulish illusions for the up coming Halloween.

Fun stuff man!

:)

EDITED

Last edited:
Speaking of illusions..... WHAT'S GOING ON ON MY THREAD!!!???!!????

:<)

Kidding.

Thanks for the tascam link, Mr. V.. Oddly, I see manuals for everything BUT the 424 MKII !! But I'll get one. Thanks to everyone.

It looks like I need 4 in/out cables to make this thing work, eh? Is there such a thing as "quality" cables, or will rodeo shock standards do just fine??

Sorry for derailing your thread.
(It's been pretty informal here...Mostly my fault-LOL)

There ARE "Really good" cables, that cost a fortune and there are Radio Shack cables that aren't exactally free either, but I believe there are some quality medium price range cables that should do nicely.
It's a weird call. Some might say if you're using just a few cables get really good ones, Others will say get ALL good cables no matter what.
And some will say they can't tell the difference between Good and cheap and a war will start over it.

I have a mix of both and some cheap ones are trashed and some nice ones are too, but the nicer ones did take longer to trash, yet I can't say their life span justfied the cost.

If you mean insert cables I don't know that Radio Shack makes them, but I could be wrong.

Guitar and speaker (And if I can swing it, Mic ) cables IMO have to be good... I've never seen a cheap guitar cable that didn't end up pissing someone off sooner or later.
Medium range guitar cables are ok too.

Hopefully someone here can recommend a quality cable brand that won't break the bank.

Again, sorry for threadjacking
:)

Yes Mark I did download it. I see an origianl manual for $10 in Toronto, and I MAY buy it so I can say I have one. I am using the download, thanks again.

I was joking about the threadjacking.... Most of my threads end up being paranormal anyway.

Yes, I mean in/out to receiver cables, not instrument-input cables.

It's interesting, the Tascam instructional video points out that the 424, except for it's tape size, is MORE sophisticated than the machines which George Martin used to make Sgt. Pepper.

(Look for my Lieutenant Reilley on CD.)

I have an eye on a stereo receiver (late 1970s, I think)
and the connectors are described thus:

""2 pin DIN speaker jack; 5 pin DIN tape input.""

Is this compatible with my Tascam 424??
Thanks

Back