Noise reduction unit with Tascam 22-2....32-2?

kensington

Hello again, Using the Tascam 22-2 or 32-2 recorders as a mastering deck, is it essential to have some sort of noise reduction unit (DX??) running also. I guess the recorders don't have this built in to them, like the TSR-8 does? So would I have to find an external NR unit to go with the half-track recorder......one of the DX models? thanks again, Kenton

Yes indeed

Kensington, you are correct. If you do indeed want to master to the 22 or the 32 with noise reduction you will need an external dbx Type I unit. This is assuming you are mastering at 15ips.

Type I dbx may or may not track properly at 7.5ips and slower though, depending on your setup it may be fine at 7.5. I'm assuming you will be running at 15ips though.

The "proper" dbx unit for the 32 is the Tascam DX-2D. You can also use a DX-4D just fine but you'll have 2 unused channels. In either case the DX units will work with the 32 utilizing the control signal cable which automatically switches the noise reduction from encode to decode when recording or playing back respectively. Nice convenience feature. The 22 does not have this feature. I have read that there is a way to set the DX units up for non-control signal systems, but I know nothing more than that. If you want to avoid that then a dbx 150X will fit the bill nicely, and they can be had for relatively cheap on eBay and such...they are 2 channel 1U half-rack space dbx Type I units.

Hope that helps.

Nr

sweetbeats, It sure does (help). Yes, It would be 15ips You know just for kicks, I mixed down some digital tracks to two tracks of my TSR8 8-track and could not believe how nice it sounded (well maybe I could).....and that is only 1/16" of tape per channel. This, and some reading of posts by Beck and others, have really piqued my interest in a half-track mastering deck. Anyway, thanks a lot for the help. all the best., Kenton

I have a Tascam 22-2 and I find the tape hiss is only a problem at 7.5 ips. At 15 ips I don't really hear it unless I try to, or the material is really quiet.

If you are holding yourself out as a mastering house and charging a decent amount, I'd say the added hiss without some NR is probably a not acceptable. For producing your own stuff, even to sell - I think you'd be fine without it.

Nr

thanks leddy, that's good to know. I've read the BR-20 was really usable without the noise reducing, but hadn't heard this in regards to the 22 or 32. This is the kind of info I need and appreciate. thanx to y'all, KK

Back