Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice!

Thanks

Nice!

Sign in to disable this ad
    I thought that the Ampex 440 4 track wasn't slaving the DAW because of some sensitive speed issue or "wow" or something but it turned out it was the voltage difference between the ampex and the syncman. The syncman being set up for -10. They even have a mod in the syncman manual to run it at +4 but I'm using the la-40 to convert it and it seems to be working fine. So I can record 3 and dump. The sky's the limit!
    "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."

Thanks
    Watch each subsequent dump...there will be drift with the deck running as Master.
    How much....?...depends on how solid your deck's transport system is.

The SMPTE/MTC time reference is not enough to keep the DAW and deck locked. You also need a sync reference and full capstan speed control.

The drift won't be crazy if the deck is stable....but you will end up having to adjust for it in the DAW, especially with longer songs. Also...whatch your DAW settings...if they are set to chase/resample...then the DAW will constantly be doing that when the time reference fluctuates, due either to transport and/or wow/flutter...but again, for Rock & Roll...it's workable, you'll just have that much more to nudge when you are doing 3 tracks at time.
    I was doing the tape deck as Master with my Fostex G-16...but I only did two dumps, 15 tracks per (at most)....so then I could grab the entire second dump as a group and nudge it....BUT...it's not that straightforward, since the timing could be perfect at the start, and then drift out somewhere toward the end...or, sometimes the drift was right at the start, plus the end...etc...etc.
    It all depends how tight you want the tracks.

If you could run the DAW as Master, with some form of sync refence and conrol of the deck's transport/capstan....then you could have near perfect sync every time...but not sure how much that will be possible with the 440.

Thanks
    Wow! Thanks for the heads up Miroslov. We'll see how it works out.
    "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."

Beck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    ...turned out it was the voltage difference between the ampex and the syncman. The syncman being set up for -10. They even have a mod in the syncman manual to run it at +4 but I'm using the la-40 to convert it and it seems to be working fine. So I can record 3 and dump. The sky's the limit!
    Don't ya love it when stuff works out? Still at some point I would do the internal mod since that way you'll have the purest signal to tape. Usually its a simple resistor change or removal. Using the LA-40 you have a bit more noise and distortion of the time code. It may be just fine that way, but the cleaner and more direct the code stripe to tape, the less chance for timing errors.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Don't ya love it when stuff works out? Still at some point I would do the internal mod since that way you'll have the purest signal to tape. Usually its a simple resistor change or removal. Using the LA-40 you have a bit more noise and distortion of the time code. It may be just fine that way, but the cleaner and more direct the code stripe to tape, the less chance for timing errors.
    Yes, I do! I probably will do that mod. It's just 2 resisters and a cap. I guess I'll only be doing 2 tracks at a time because the track that abuts the stripe wont take it. But so far so good. It's working fine. Just dumped two down.

Thanks
    There is absolutely no way to slave a 440, even if it has the DC servo capstan.

Thanks
    Yeah...that's what I figured....and said I wasn't sure he could even do that with a 440.
    So he has to use it as master...so then he has to watch the dump drift.....

Thanks

Thanks
    Not that he should run out and get it....but I wonder if a MicroLynx would help even with the 440 as master?

If he got a ML with an the digital Audio Clock Generator card and fed the Word Clock to the computer for sync reference.
    Meanwhile, the 440 would feed SMPTE to the ML.

....?????

There even the "Code Only" option...letting the SMPTE act as master reference (if I recall the ML manual correctly).

I think it's a lot of "extra" to add to a 4-track SOP...but wonder if it would make a positive difference?

Thanks
    What exactly is drift? I've been considering syncing my MS16 to a MIDI sequencer programme with a MOTU Micro Express but I'm not sure if drift would be a problem.
    Tascam MS-16
    Studiomaster 20/16/2 Mixer

Thread Information