Newbie question on calibration

sherm_jonathan

Hey all,

I recently picked up a TSR 8 track recorder. I'm wondering if it makes most sense to buy calibration tapes for it to calibrate on my own, or if I should bring it to some one for a set up, or if I don't really need to do either. How do I know if the thing needs any calibration in the first place? How often do these things need re-calibration? Thanks for the help!

Reel-to-reel machines are kinda like pianos… it’s a good idea to tune them up after they’ve been moved. Anything that’s been shipped or banged around in moving should be calibrated. Also, these machines are getting on in years and unless you have a well-documented maintenance history for the machine you don’t know the last time it’s been checked… if ever.

Once you calibrate it you will have peace of mind that you’re getting the best out of it. After that they stay lined up and only have to be checked once or twice a year in the typical home/project studio. I use my test tape to check it, but I haven’t had to recalibrate my TSR-8 for about three years. It’s stayed rock steady.

I consider the purchase of a calibration tape as a part of the cost of ownership. If you have the manual it’s really not hard to calibrate the TSR-8. Even if you don’t have the manual, folks here can help walk you through calibration.

The danger of not checking a machine when you first get it is any recordings you make will be off, if it is indeed out of alignment… and when you do eventually get it setup those early tapes might not sound right because they were recorded on a machine that was out of spec.

The calibration tapes that will work for that machine and any other ½” 8-track @ 15 ips and IEC EQ are listed below:

TEAC YTT-1144
TEAC YTT-1144-2 (YTT-11442)
Fostex 9200
BASF 337534A
MRL 31J229

Only the MRL tapes are still being made, but you can find new-old-stock or lightly used on eBay.

I’ve used the MRL 31J229, TEAC YTT-1144 and YTT-1144-2. IMO the TEACs are the best. My YTT-1144 is from 1981 and still works like new.

:)

If you are serious about analog recording and have a tight budget, then I would say owning the manual, and knowing how to work on and calibrate your own machine is imperative.

The maintenance section in my Tascam 48 manual is amazing. They just don't put things like that in manuals anymore. It runs you through the entire calibration process, step by step. If you need to do some more serious work on it and replace a part or pcb etc.. there is a whole section with exploded view schematics. If you don't have experience working on electronics, like say you don't know what a potentiometer is, then it probably is going to be a little bit too much to dive into.

According to my manual, essential test equipment required to calibrate the Tascam 48 is:

Wow & Flutter Meter
Audio Oscillator
Digital Frequency Counter
Band-Pass-Filter
AF Level Meter
Distortion Meter
Oscilloscope
Attentuator
Spring Scale
Hex Head Allen Wrench (metric)
Plastic Alignment Tool
Cleaning Fluid
Head Demagnetizer
3 Test Tapes - Reproduce Alignment Test Tape, Wow and Flutter Test Tape, and a blank test tape (recording)

If you are serious about analog recording and have a tight budget, then I would say owning the manual, and knowing how to work on and calibrate your own machine is imperative.

The maintenance section in my Tascam 48 manual is amazing. They just don't put things like that in manuals anymore. It runs you through the entire calibration process, step by step. If you need to do some more serious work on it and replace a part or pcb etc.. there is a whole section with exploded view schematics. If you don't have experience working on electronics, like say you don't know what a potentiometer is, then it probably is going to be a little bit too much to dive into.

According to my manual, essential test equipment required to calibrate the Tascam 48 is:

Wow & Flutter Meter
Audio Oscillator
Digital Frequency Counter
Band-Pass-Filter
AF Level Meter
Distortion Meter
Oscilloscope
Attentuator
Spring Scale
Hex Head Allen Wrench (metric)
Plastic Alignment Tool
Cleaning Fluid
Head Demagnetizer
3 Test Tapes - Reproduce Alignment Test Tape, Wow and Flutter Test Tape, and a blank test tape (recording)

Wow, that's a lot of crap to have lying around, and I AM mechanically inclined. I think I'll take mine to a tech. Ha::D

Wow, that's a lot of crap to have lying around, and I AM mechanically inclined. I think I'll take mine to a tech. Ha::D

Yeah it is more than I have lying around too.

I just drove up to Spokane and purchased a Tascam 388 Studio 8. The guy had the manual to go with it. This unit was introduced in 1985 and my 48's were introduced in 1984.

I noticed that they added a little statement to the 388 manual that the 48 manual didn't have.

It reads as follows:

"The guarantee provided for the Studio 8 has several restrictions. The Studio 8 will perform properly only if it is adjusted properly and we guarantee that such adjustment is possible. Set-up is not covered by Warranty. If your attempts at internal adjustments are unsuccessful, we will charge you for readjustments.

Recording is an art as well as a science. As a result, your finished product may be judged more by artistic criteria than technical performance. Art is the province of the artist and TASCAM can make no guarantee that the Studio 8, by itself, will assure the quality of your work.

Your skill as a technician and your abilities as an artist will be significant factors in the results you achieve.

Understanding what is going on inside your equipment will help improve your sound. Think of this manual as a reference book. You won't need to memorize it to get started, but try to find the time to read it thoroughly at least once. That way, you will be familiar with its contents, and if you need answers, you'll know where to find them."

Knowing your machine, and owning the manual seem pretty important to me. Keeping up on maintenance and correcting problems as they surface is important. Whether you work on the machine or take it to a competent tech doesn't really make too much of a difference, except in the wallet. In my situation with the nearest tech being 3 hours away and a minimum charge of $150 each time, I have decided to take the time to accumulate this test equipment and learn how to work on these things.

Last edited:
Back