Newbie question

famous beagle

Hey guys,

I just got a Tascam 38 and am taking the analog plunge. Do y'all have any good sources for ordering 1/2" tape?

Thanks

haha.....You made your purchase at a weird time in the analog world. Tape is in wel,l how should I say this... a shortage. Not to worry brand new tape should will produced within the next few months. I really dont know of anywhere on the internet...I'm sure one of the guys will be here shortly...try ebay I guess.

I used to get tape from a local music store, but the computer took over my studio a few years ago and I haven't bought 1/2" tape in awhile. If I hear of something I'll post again.

The 38 is a great machine. I have one, and I'm planning to get it fixed and put it back into action.

Bigsnake00 said:
haha.....You made your purchase at a weird time in the analog world. Tape is in wel,l how should I say this... a shortage. Not to worry brand new tape should will produced within the next few months. I really dont know of anywhere on the internet...I'm sure one of the guys will be here shortly...try ebay I guess.
Watch out when you try ebay. Sometimes these guys don't really know what they are selling. They find something in dad's attic and think it's recording tape and try to get a few bucks off it. They know nothing about analog recording (like I do?), and you have no idea the condition or even type of tape your getting. As long as you know what you're looking for, you should be ok, it's just something to think about.

Sorry,...

tape's not in a shortage. Not yet, anyway.

Tape buyers are a bit panicked that there might be a future shortage. That's not certain. Reels of many varieties are currently still available at the reputable tape outlets, now and for some time to come.

There's legitimate uncertainty about if & when any tape manufacturer will step into the gap. Quantegy could come out of reorg and keep producing, as I've read plans of Quantegy coming back with a smaller, more focused operation. It could be a reorganized Quantegy, or it could be another venture. I've read press releases about ATR beginning tape production.

IMO, it's not time to panic, but I've been stockpiling tape for a while now for personal reasons, since way before the panic hit, and I have no reason to panic. I've been to shops that still sell tape. Not to say I'd not consider picking up a few extra reels, whenever I'd get a chance. You know I will. That's not a panic, though. YMMV.

Tape used to be a good deal on Ebay, in most cases, but there's currrently a panic and feeding frenzy going on over tape, due to current circumstances. I've seen some pretty outrageous deals on Ebay, such as a 7" reel of 456 bidding up to $30, for what's otherwise a $10 reel of tape. I'd gotten [10] 600' reels of 3M 996 a while back for under $30, which today bid to over $80. The panic and feeding frenzy is on, and you may see inflated Ebay deals on new tape, and used tape of dubious origin, now & for a while to come. I've also seen 1-pass reels of 2" 996 sell for new tape prices. We'll see a lot of that before the "crisis" is over. The current situation lends itself to price gouging, and you're seeing it now.

There are still many viable outlets for 1/2" reels of 456, currently, so good luck with the 38. I have one, and it's great.

Last edited:
Back