Newbie, problems recording mixtapes on a sony tcm200dv..

kronhole

Hiya y'all first time poster part time lurker here..

Soooo im trying to make mixtapes with my sony tcm200dv (http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3245602912.pdf)

First, months ago, I made a mix and leveled out all the songs and added fades in and out on audacity and hooked up my recorder 1/8 to 1/8 and got the volume right on the computer via trial and error so that it wasn't clipping or too low and when it was all said and done the fades were non exsistant on the recording and in the brief pauses between songs there is a poping or cracking sound.. What gives?

Now, traveling at a library, trying to make a janky mix with my ipod and the same tcm200 no matter what the output volume of the ipod is the recording is clipping like its way too high.. i try recording and adjusting the volume up and down drastically on the ipod and when listening to the recording its like nothing changes.. same problem as before?

I've tried adjusting the volume wheel on the recorder and using both the a/c adapter or batteries as other variables to no avail.. halp.

Hiya y'all first time poster part time lurker here..

Soooo im trying to make mixtapes with my sony tcm200dv (http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3245602912.pdf)

First, months ago, I made a mix and leveled out all the songs and added fades in and out on audacity and hooked up my recorder 1/8 to 1/8 and got the volume right on the computer via trial and error so that it wasn't clipping or too low and when it was all said and done the fades were non exsistant on the recording and in the brief pauses between songs there is a poping or cracking sound.. What gives?

Two things. You are using a program designed to make mixed tapes and you are using a 1/8 cable going from power into power. The pops and clicks you hear are common with Audacity but they do have built in filters to help remove them.

Now, traveling at a library, trying to make a janky mix with my ipod and the same tcm200 no matter what the output volume of the ipod is the recording is clipping like its way too high.. i try recording and adjusting the volume up and down drastically on the ipod and when listening to the recording its like nothing changes.. same problem as before? I've tried adjusting the volume wheel on the recorder and using both the a/c adapter or batteries as other variables to no avail.. halp.

When recording into a computer or digital recorder, you want your input levels to be around a -6 to -18 dbs. If you were using an AI, Audio Interface, those levels would be between a -12 and -18dbs. When you come out of your computer, that jack has a small amplifier built in, so you can install desk top speakers and be able to hear them, your iPod is built the same way. Your recorder has a external 1/8 input jack that has "Mic Plugin Power" on the side of it. So if you have power coming out of your computer/iPod, going into the voice recorder that has power, this is what maybe causing you to get the results you are getting.

They have discontinued your recorder, maybe due to the fact that most smart phones have a better digital recorder then the one they were charging $199.00 for. These recorders were designed to record office meetings, taking verbal notes and things like that. Try taking your recorder to a music store that sells mics. Ask them to use a xlr to 1/8 inch cable with a mic attached and try recording with that. If it sounds clear, than the computer/iPod speaker out jack is the problem.

Ok thanks so much! I'm beginning to understand the issue with the high dbs distortion.. Why doesn't turning down the volume on the iPod bring the dbs under a reasonable level? Also in both cases why doesn't the fading between songs either when edited in audacity or done manually by turning the volume down on the iPod during recording register at all on the tapes? Is it possibly some mechanism of the recorders input that controls the levels?

Why doesn't turning down the volume on the iPod bring the dbs under a reasonable level?

I have no idea concerning your recorder. I can do the same process with my audio interface as well as my mixers, but they are designed to do this, your recorder may not have this feature.

Also in both cases why doesn't the fading between songs either when edited in audacity or done manually by turning the volume down on the iPod during recording register at all on the tapes? Is it possibly some mechanism of the recorders input that controls the levels?

I would say it has to do with Audacity. Depending on what version you have installed. Their last couple of upgrades does these things automatically when you import a file. It places a dc offset filter on you audio and it normalizes it to the same level. You can click the back or undo arrow twice and remove these effects. Watch the pic below, you will see what I am talking about. You must click on the picture to activate it.

View attachment 100879

If the fades are going away, you probably have some sort of "auto-level" on your recorder turned on.

What the auto-level does is turn down the record level when a loud signal comes in and turns up the volume when a quiet signal comes in. This is useful when you are recording meetings, rehearsals, etc... but it sucks when you want something to keep the dynamics.

So, as your songs fade out, the volume is being turned up by the recorder..

The clicks and pops are probably at the edit points. If you crossfade the edit points, they will go away.

Yup I finally found it.. " Sony-Matic automatic recording level control will keep your recordings at one constant level. Play-back editing or transcribing becomes more useful with this feature. "

Yup I finally found it.. " Sony-Matic automatic recording level control will keep your recordings at one constant level. Play-back editing or transcribing becomes more useful with this feature. "

Yup. Turn that off and most of your problems will go away.

Back