Newbie to this Forum

Vintage TX

Hi,
I just found this forum and hope I can share my knowledge about reel to reel decks and learn from others also.
My personal favorite is the old Tascam 42 and 44 in my home-system. 4 track and a 2 track machine with a M-30 mixer hooked for the fat analog sound that I like.
I restore reel to reel deck as a hobby and got many friends with the same passion for the smell of analog tape.
Also have over 100 decks in my collection... I know, I got the "reel-fever" really bad.
Started out many years ago with a Tandberg, forget the modelnr but had that little joystick for transport-control, that usally didn't work... ended up with a Sony later on, and then the fever started.
Personally I think the digital sound is OK, but prefer the analog.
Much better sound spectrum I think.
I got many different brands and models, Akai, Sony, Pioneer, Teac, Tascam, and even a couple of portable decks, and several other vintage amplifiers, cassette-decks, even some 8-track players.
I collect records also and use to restore old jukeboxes many moons ago... + pinball machines in late 70's.
You can say I like to fiddle around with almost anything that creates noise...but prefer music and reel to reel best.
When recovering from a surgery 2 years ago, my time in front of the computer-screen I finally decided to make a homepage and share pictures + information about some decks and maintenance for other people. The respond has been great, got friends all over the world sharing the same hobby now.
This forum seems like a nice place to hang out, always open to help other people and learn new stuff.
Sorry for this long message, I hope you didn't fall asleep reading it.

Best regards

Vintage TX

Hey I visited you site a while ago from a google search. :)

I don't know if you have Photoshop of not, but if you do a "save for web" you can drop the image file size in half without loosing any noticable quality. Just so you know. ;) I have cable modem and a normally fast connection but that Tascam page almost crashed my computer. :D I guess thats the price to pay for full blow images though.

Hi again,
Yes I have Photo-Shop, the Tascam page needs a down-size....
sorry about that. Toooooo many pictures right now, but working on several projects so changes will be there soon.
Each model will have a own page instead.
Time is something that I don't have enough of, right now I am remodeling the shop and restore decks at the same time..
But after Dec it will be much better again.

Best regard
Vintage TX

Greetings, Vintage TX!:)

This place could surely use a person such as yourself who has a lot of experience with reel to reels from varied manufacturers as I have seen from visits to your website.

I really like your site and all the work you put into it! The pictures are a great resource.

I too am an analog enthusiast and I have owned many different open reel recorders from TASCAM, Teac, Phillips, Sony and Holiday.

My current set up is with a TASCAM MS16 and a 38 with couple of TASCAM M3212B mixers to run my home studio with. I too really enjoy the format and am competent at doing minor repairs and adjustments.

Welcome aboard!:)

Thanks Ghost !
Happy to be here !
You have a nice set-up there, wish I had space for a studio, but I guess the only option left is the bedroom, and my better half probably put me in the dog-house if I started installing wires and decks in there and got rid of the bed.... ..
Thanks for the comments about the site, I try to help people with smaller problems and maintenance all the time, there is not many repair-shops left, here in Houston only one that I know of.
Many teenagers are actually getting in to the analog again, that makes me glad, so we "old people" are not alone. LOL

Best regards
Vintage TX

Oh wow!

Man I want to thank you very very very very much for taking the time to help me out earlier this year via email.

Before I met the guys here (from the late Tascam bbs... Ghost, Reel Person and a few others) I didn't even know how to thread the tape on my newly aquired 38 and I was having a problem that led me to believe the motor was trashed in it.

You were VERY kind and patient with me by in essences saying (Via email) "Whoa slow down don't panic yet.. Here is the step by step way to clean your deck."
THEN you followed up on it with an email to make sure I was taking my time and doing it right.

It worked just as you said it would and UNDOUBTEDLY saved me a foolish $200.00 newbie service charge just to get rid of nothing more than 456 sticky shed! LOL

It was honestly your time and patience that led me to realize there must be like minded people on the net that I could learn from. That led me to the Tascam bbs where I was not only given the opportunity to learn, but more over, a chance to make some really great recording friends.

( It's embarassing, but (incidentally) among my first few posts at the Tascam bbs and here were me singing your praises and offering your link!)

My goodness, between you, Ghost and A Reel Person the expertise level contained here is staggering!

Today is a great day in the analog Reel world!
Thank You tons and welcome to the site.
:)

Last edited:
Billy,
I remember you, that's right, you bought a 38 and got some problems. Glad I was able to help you and meet you again.
Thanks for those nice words Billy, I'll try to help if I can.
Usally there is nice people on the net and if we all help each other when needed makes a big chance.
So how is the recordings coming along Billy ?
Still got the 38 spinning or ?

BillyFurnett said:
I'm happy to report that my 38 is going strong.
Now my recording technique... That's another story! LOL

:)

Hey, as long as we have our 34's and 38's then it's all that matters :D ;)

Daniel

Welcome to the board!

I'm a vinyl guy......... 6000 and counting. I also have a Teac 3340 (which I might be asking you some questions about :) )
Is Vintage TX your webpage? If not......lets have an address.

Yeah.....a couple of problems. It has always (I've had it since 1970 ) had a problem with the brake. If you're FF or REW and hit stop it'll yank the tape down into the side of the reel between the tape and the side. That's not really a problem as I've long been used to it and I simply hit the opposite fast speed to slow it to a stop before hitting stop.
But recently.......when I hit play I have to reach up and shove the pinch roller towards the capstan to get it to engage. It always does but i seems to be getting worse.

Yeah, I've got a bunch of LPs......and a few nice turntables too. CDs don't sound as good IMO and in that of most audiophiles. And it's not 'cause of some kind of distortion we've gotten used to. It's because analog has greater resolution and dynamic range than 16 bit/44.1 CDs do.
Now, the new SACD and DVDA have the potential to finally close the gap......but at 52 with 6000 albums.....I suppose that my medium is always gonna be vinyl.

Billy,
recording is an art, but long practice and alot of tape + patient usally works pretty good.
Glad you still have the Tascam.
You know there has many people with the same problem like you had, old sticky tapes just don't work.

L.t Bob,
Teac and slooow pinchroller is a common problem, it usally is old grease that makes it hard for the solenoid to engage it.
You can take the back-cover off and move the pinch-roller up and down by hand, of course the machine unplugged + watch out for those capacitors inside the machine.
On the left side there is a solenoid and a linkage going to the pinch-roller assembly, check the solenoid first and see if it has a rubber-ring on the shaft, some models got that ring and others don't.
They can gum up and make the pinch-roller stick in the shaft movement, or the linkage is hard.

About the brakes when rewinding or Fforward, is that when using 10 inch or 7 inch reels ?
Let me know what you find Bob.

Cool.......I will let you know for sure.......it'll probably be a few weeks before I get to it.....but I'll let you know. Right now I'm playing lots of gigs.....trying to do a website and demo for one of my bands.....tuning lots of pianos and ummmmmm......hmmmmm.....oh yeah, Christmas! :D

Plus, all of a sudden, a seriously ill Labrador. :(
But I appreciate the hell out of it and I'll keep in touch. Do you do any recording? I can give you some nice sax tracks in return for the tips.
Nice site BTW.........I wanted to buy every damned one of those decks!

Thanks for the comment about the site.
I try to record when I have time... not much anymore.
Play guitar and scare my neighbors mostly.. LOL
Just for fun from time to time Bob.
It seems like you have a busy time right now, let me know when you come up for some air and hopefully we can get that Teac spinning right again.
Good Luck on all your projects Bob !

Back