New Tascam 388 headphones crackling

I put my money on a bad cap, transistor or opamp. I could narrow it down to the possible components but ya didn't finish mah trubble-shootin!

:D

SB.
Where do you think the bad components are located.Headphone amp????
One of my 388's is doing this every once in a while too. Static,crackling from in headphones and monitors.More so on the left side.I recorded some material from the stereo outs to a cassette to see if it was showing up there too.But luckily it doesn't.
Interested in what M-Pi"s diagnosis will be.

When I dropped it off the guy mentioned a possible bad transistor, so sweetbeats might be right on target. I'll be sure to give a detailed report when they get back to me.

I'd need to know whether the cracking/popping was present at the EFF and AUX OUT jacks. If they find the problem ask them to tell you the part reference and which PCB it was on.

Will do.
They also said they would look through the whole piece for anything that looks like it needs repair. Do you think I should get it refurbished while its there?
What would that entail?

I have no idea. It'd be on you to get that detail from them before they do it and charge ya for it. I've never taken a machine to a shop for service and have no experience with what they do when they "go through" a machine...I'm sure they'd be happy to do whatever and charge you for it though. I think you should ask before you agree.

I just got word from TEAC Tascam repair and they said its a component in the mixing channels. They are not sure which one exactly (the estimate took 10 days) and they said they would charge $324.50 for the repair.
dad-gum-it!:mad:

Last edited:
So it's one of the channel cards?
Didn't think thats where the problem would be!
If you go ahead with the repair,make sure you get some detail on exactly what it was. I'd be interested to know as Im having
some strange noises in one of my 388s too.

I will be sure to ask. They really seemed like they still had to test everything to find the problem. Time will tell.

That's interesting that they say its that far upstream because the issue would be reproducable at any and all of the outputs, but my impression was it was isolated to the stereo outs and/or the EFF/AUX out...maybe not...but that was the reason I was asking at what output(s) you could hear the problem as that begins to pinpoint where the problem exists.

So update on the repair of the crackling headphones...the tech said " We cleaned the entire inside and when we saw a component that needed to be replaced we did". He would not give me any specifics.
I am hoping this will finally be over on Monday. It's been there for 3 weeks. The crackle IS gone. I don't know what they did. Guess I never will. Strange stuff....:confused:

Last edited:
Thats too bad they won't tell you. I was really interested in what the bad part was.
Well, at least you're gonna have nice functional 388 to work with.:)

Yea, Sorry about that. I asked the guy again and again but he would not give me any info. He also gave me the machine back with a new problem so I had to bring it all back down to TEAC in Montebello. I have a strong feeling that using them for the repair was a mistake.

Back