Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Tascam 388 headphones crackling

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    So I got some time to make a good test today and this is what I've found:
    1. When I first turn on the Tascam 388 there is a LOT or crackling and popping.
    2. after a few minutes it subsides on its own.
    3. I can only hear it when the master fader is up.
    4. As stated before the wheels dont need to be spinning for the crackling to happen.
    5. When I use the EFF Master dial the cracking and popping is LOUD. If it stops, I can get it started again simply by turning this knob a bit and voila....back to big crackle and poping.
    6. Same for the MON button (starts the crackle)
    7. There can be long periods of time without this problem. Then slowly like a pot of water boiling it starts, and subsides a few minutes later as if you turned off the heat and the water slowly stopped boiling.
    8. Popping does not show in the VU meter or print to tape (even at loud volume)
    9. It really "sounds" like a dirty pot on a guitar amp before you giggle the knob a bit to "get the dust out".
    Hope this info helps,
    What do you think?

p.s. Magnum does the crackling change depending on how hot the signal is to the headphones? Like if you crank it does it make the crackling worse or does make it better? Or is it just totally random?
    Its the same crackle, just louder when the volume is up.

Thanks
    I also noticed that the effects coming through the FX channel is WAY less effected and quieter than simply running it directly through an individual track channel. Is that because on the individual channel it is at 100% and through the FX Master it would be turned to max to get that 100%, so anything below max is going to be quieter and less effected?

Thanks
    I'll take your clues and see if I can narrow down a potential culprit or culprits on the schematics.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI View Post
    So I got some time to make a good test today and this is what I've found:
    1. When I first turn on the Tascam 388 there is a LOT or crackling and popping.
    2. after a few minutes it subsides on its own.
    3. I can only hear it when the master fader is up.
    4. As stated before the wheels dont need to be spinning for the crackling to happen.
    5. When I use the EFF Master dial the cracking and popping is LOUD. If it stops, I can get it started again simply by turning this knob a bit and voila....back to big crackle and poping.
    6. Same for the MON button (starts the crackle)
    7. There can be long periods of time without this problem. Then slowly like a pot of water boiling it starts, and subsides a few minutes later as if you turned off the heat and the water slowly stopped boiling.
    8. Popping does not show in the VU meter or print to tape (even at loud volume)
    9. It really "sounds" like a dirty pot on a guitar amp before you giggle the knob a bit to "get the dust out".
    Hope this info helps,
    What do you think?

Its the same crackle, just louder when the volume is up.
    • Where/how are you monitoring when you hear the crackling/popping? STEREO OUT jacks or MONITOR OUT jacks/headphones?
    • "Same for the MON button (starts the crackle)" What is the "MON" button? Do you mean the MONO button?
    • Is the crackling/popping present at the AUX or EFF OUT jacks?

Thanks
    Where/how are you monitoring when you hear the crackling/popping? STEREO OUT jacks or MONITOR OUT jacks/headphones?
    "Same for the MON button (starts the crackle)" What is the "MON" button? Do you mean the MONO button?
    Is the crackling/popping present at the AUX or EFF OUT jacks?
    Thanks sweetbeats!
    *The crackle is coming from both headphone jacks. I don't have monitors yet so haven't checked that.
    *Yes, MON button is MONO (sorry)
    *How would I test to see if the noise is coming out of the AUX or EFF OUT jacks? (print something to tape with FX on it (from EFF OUT) and see if the crackle is there?)
    Thanks again. I appreciate the help!

Thanks
    Do you have a home receiver or something you can hook the MONITOR OUT jacks to using RCA to RCA cables to see if the crackling/popping comes from them too? I have a pretty sure hunch it is yes, but I want to be sure.

As far as the AUX and EFF out jacks same thing...RCA to RCA cable with a 1/4" TS to RCA adapter, or if you have one simply a 1/4" TS to RCA cable connected to a home stereo.

Thanks
    I dont have a home receiver but maybe I can go out of these spots into my protools 002 and see if the crackle is there?
    Do you think that might work?

Or could I go out to a guitar amp?

Thanks
    Use the digi 002. You can monitor the input with headphones plugged into the digi right ?

Thanks
    Thanks sweetbeats.
    Well, my friend came by with his truck today so I took the 388 down to TEAC. I thought I might as well get whatever it is fixed, and checked/cleaned. Ill let you know what they determine is the "crackle" problem. I should have word from them in the next few days. I do wonder what it is....

Thanks
    I would be interested too.
    We've got bush,We've got bush!!!

Thread Information