New to recording with a Yamaha MT8X

Inkybro

My friend/drummer brought over his old Yamaha MT8X for us to use. As soon as I saw it, I fell in love with it. I have dabbled in digital recording, but never analog (due to poverty, more than anything). I've read through the MT8X manual twice already, noting many important things along the way. As a result, I am able to lay down tracks with some effort involved.

My first specific question is how the hell you are supposed to know what the recording is going to sound like. I'm sure it's something to do with how I'm setting the knobs/buttons, but the monitor playback (as I'm playing/recording) is a LOT louder than the finished track. I want the tracks to be loud with minimal distortion, which seems to be kind of hard to attain.

I will post questions as we go, here, but this is my first one. I would love to hear just an all around explanation of how the entire recording process goes, if someone doesn't mind. There seems to be much more "theory" to this whole thing than I ever anticipated, and I want my recordings to sound good.

Thank you all!

What do your meters look like? A good rule of thumb is to get your recorded sounded into the orange so that your just below clipping but you still have plenty of volume to work with should you need it. Also is there a option for a headphone mix some where on your console, because maybe your headphone mix is turned way up with out the actual signal being as loud.

Back