New to R2R- Burned on Ebay- need advice

Milkfaj

I recently won a auction for a tascam MS-16 with a 24 channel soundtracs mixer, a patch bay, and all the cables need to connect them (all in "mint" condition) for $1500. I thought it sounded a little to good to be true (ive seen MS-16 go for that price alone) and I think I was right- My seller wont return my emails and Im going to give up on persuing the item.

Since this whole ordeal, ive been re-evaluating my desire to start out (open reel machine are new to me) with a big machine like a MS-16. Im thinking I should get a smaller machine and learn how to use it first, then when I go to buy the MS-16 (or the 24 track studer) Ill be able to know what Im looking at, where to look for problems, and how to test it out.

What recorders would be a good choice in the $500 range? Ive looked at the Tascam 38 (I want to get at least a 1/2" machine- i hear the quality is way better than 1/4") I really would like 16 tracks, but for a machine to learn on I can settle for 8. Ive looked at some MSR-16s on ebay, but they seem to go for around $1000 and if im going to pay that much, I might as well get the MS-16, even though its three times the size. Ive heard Otari makes good machine, but more expensive and harder to get fixed.

any advice would be much appriciated. Thank you!

Milkfaj said:
I recently won a auction for a tascam MS-16 with a 24 channel soundtracs mixer, a patch bay, and all the cables need to connect them (all in "mint" condition) for $1500. I thought it sounded a little to good to be true (ive seen MS-16 go for that price alone) and I think I was right- My seller wont return my emails and Im going to give up on persuing the item.

Since this whole ordeal, ive been re-evaluating my desire to start out (open reel machine are new to me) with a big machine like a MS-16. Im thinking I should get a smaller machine and learn how to use it first, then when I go to buy the MS-16 (or the 24 track studer) Ill be able to know what Im looking at, where to look for problems, and how to test it out.

What recorders would be a good choice in the $500 range? Ive looked at the Tascam 38 (I want to get at least a 1/2" machine- i hear the quality is way better than 1/4") I really would like 16 tracks, but for a machine to learn on I can settle for 8. Ive looked at some MSR-16s on ebay, but they seem to go for around $1000 and if im going to pay that much, I might as well get the MS-16, even though its three times the size. Ive heard Otari makes good machine, but more expensive and harder to get fixed.

Did you pay with PayPal?

If you did then file a complaint. Unless he can produce a confirmed reciept via tracking to your home address, you win.

Now if he has taken the money out of the account your are screwed, but the second you file the complaint all assets in his PayPal account will be frozen until they decide what to do.

Milkfaj said:

We had a little discussion about that auction a few days ago here:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=145159

The Tascam 38 or TSR-8 are both great choices for 8-track on 1/2" for less than $500.00. Otari makes a nice machine, the MX5050. It is harder to find and more expensive.

With the TSR-8 you get integrated dbx, servo control and a few other modern features. The 38 is an older model but has the advantage of three heads as opposed to two on the TSR-8. It doesn't affect the sound quality, but three heads are convenient for calibration.

Grab one of those and an M-216 or M-312/320 mixer and you're in business. :)

By the way you can go here to get the seller's phone number:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Ad...id=0&fsop=1&fsoo=1&fcl=3&frpp=50&sofindtype=9

But I wouldn't send any money if I were you.

-Tim

Last edited:
Beck said:
We had a little discussion about that auction a few days ago here:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=145159

-Tim

HA! looks like I was the sucker! I wish I had been in on that little convo you guys had!

I havent paid him anything yet because we were going to use an escrow and we needed to discuss the terms. Right after I won the auction, he emailed me saying that he was out of the country on buisness, but could have his brother ship the item (very fishy) he also said his name was "John Jones"(sounds made up to me) I havent heard from him since the end of the auction (over a week ago) i think maybe he realizes that he could have gotten a lot more $$$ and is avoiding me. Either that or he has sold it to someone else, or it never existed in the first place... what a bunch of crap. Pretty soon he will have a feedback rating of -1
I emailed him yesterday saying that if i didnt here from him in 48 hours, i would cancel the deal and file a report with ebay.

I think maybe it is a blessing in disguise (although I imediately order two reels of 1" tape which i now have to sell) I'm probobly too wet behind the ears for a big machine like a 16. I think ill spend the money i saved on 8 really nice Mics for whatever 8-track I get.

Milkfaj said:
he emailed me saying that he was out of the country on buisness, but could have his brother ship the item

See, that is classic. That is getting you to send the money to someone else. Then all he has to say is you never sent the money to him (the seller) and you can't prove a thing.

I would have emailed him back and said, "What the fuck are you out of the country for you dumb ****? What you fuck you selling shit on eBay for if youa in't even around to ship it?! Bite me you fuckface."

Send the email to eBay as a fraud report. Don't leave negative feedback yet cause he can still elave you negative feedback and that always sucks when people retaliate like that.

Milkfaj said:
HA! looks like I was the sucker! I wish I had been in on that little convo you guys had!

I havent paid him anything yet because we were going to use an escrow and we needed to discuss the terms. Right after I won the auction, he emailed me saying that he was out of the country on buisness, but could have his brother ship the item (very fishy) he also said his name was "John Jones"(sounds made up to me) I havent heard from him since the end of the auction (over a week ago) i think maybe he realizes that he could have gotten a lot more $$$ and is avoiding me. Either that or he has sold it to someone else, or it never existed in the first place... what a bunch of crap. Pretty soon he will have a feedback rating of -1
I emailed him yesterday saying that if i didnt here from him in 48 hours, i would cancel the deal and file a report with ebay.

I think maybe it is a blessing in disguise (although I imediately order two reels of 1" tape which i now have to sell) I'm probobly too wet behind the ears for a big machine like a 16. I think ill spend the money i saved on 8 really nice Mics for whatever 8-track I get.

You didn't send him any money. Good. Don't go in deeper. Red warning lights should be going off. Also, it's a huge risk when shipping an item like that.

Btw, was it you who suggested "Escrow" ?

~Daniel

A Reel Person said:
was he a deposed Ethiopian prince in exile, by any chance? :confused: :eek: ;)

WTF you talking about? My money is going to be coming from the president of South Africa.

I think you got scammed Reel.

:D

Yeah, It definitely sounds like you dodged a bullet on that one. ALWAYS be careful of transactions involving escrow accounts. If you must, make sure it's one you both agree upon. People set up phony escrow crap all the time.
That and "I can only accept western union" are two of the biggest scam methods going.

Back