NEW OTARI 2, 4 and 8 track recorders!! OTARI steps up production of multitracks!

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Apologies for yet another post but things are going about so quickly in the availability of new multitrack recorders that it bears repeating and having its own post. This is an extension of another post which can be found HERE and it details the hot demand for multitracks. I thought I'd never see this happen. Check availability and more info here :) :

http://www.trycho.com/trychostore/ANALOG-RECORDERS-TAPE-SUPPLIES-C415.aspx

ROCK ON!! :D

Attachments

• otarimx5050mkiv-8a.jpg
    otarimx5050mkiv-8a.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 263
cjacek said:
Apologies for yet another post but things are going about so quickly in the availability of new multitrack recorders that it bears repeating and having its own post.
I think the resumption of analogue recorder production is sufficiently important that no-one in their right mind would complain about multiple threads. Too bad Otari don't have a UK dealer (among other problems like if-I-had-5k-to-spend-on-a-recorder-I'd-probably-get-a-2"-machine) but it's damn fantastic to see a resurgence. I might look for a 5050-8 on ebay anyhow if there are going to be parts available for them into the future.

Thanks JP.

Do what I did. Contact Otari Japan and they'll arrange shipment through an authorized UK dealer.

Muckelroy said:
Although the picture of the wood-chipped unit is kind of silly.

Looks like they made the neccessary image edit, till Otari Japan sends them some fresh picts. ;)

Attachments

• otarimx5050mkiv-8b.jpg
    otarimx5050mkiv-8b.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 249
Anyone have a really nice, well made photo of the 4 track, 1/2" deck ? Please share. :)

I'm kind of puzzled by all this as the manufacturer, Otari doesn't show these products on their own web site and only mention the 5050 Mk III, deuce. They say nothing about 4 and 8 track decks and your vendor's site is showing pictures of old units on a web page that may not be up to date judging by the copyright notices on the bottom of their page.

Otari's site;

http://www.otari.com/product/index.html

What's going on here? :rolleyes:

Cheers! :)

ah, if i only had an extra $10,769.61...

hmm, actually i'd still probably spend that kind of money on other things. ;)

The Ghost of FM said:
I'm kind of puzzled by all this as the manufacturer, Otari doesn't show these products on their own web site and only mention the 5050 Mk III, deuce. They say nothing about 4 and 8 track decks and your vendor's site is showing pictures of old units on a web page that may not be up to date judging by the copyright notices on the bottom of their page.

Otari's site;

http://www.otari.com/product/index.html

What's going on here? :rolleyes:

Bad marketing decisions, that's all, IMHO. The same exact thing happened, if you recall, a couple of years ago when I, quite by accident, found out that TEAC Japan struck a deal with TEAC Canada (that's what I was told) and was making brand new special order batches of the TASCAM 34B for 'em, for interested clients who paid upfront.

They sold out quickly but the point is that no one knew, except people that dug deep into what was available at the time. There was absolutely no mention of it on any of the TASCAM / TEAC sites.

The only reason, again I was told this, that the 34B was discontinued, despite there being interest, is that it was not worth it for the manufacturing plant over at Japan to cease production of their other digi gear in favor of producing a relatively few 34B's at a time. Apparently they shared the same assembly line or whatever ....

Is it possible, as in the TASCAM case, that a dealer / distributor, struck a deal with Otari saying that "if you can make 'em, we have people that will buy 'em"" kinda thing ? They test marketed it, with the 4 tracks initially and there was interest and so they went further.

I don't have the answers, only speculating but it's obvious they're selling these or none would be made. It's a legit thing.

I actually applaud Otari for agreeing to this.

Here's that email I received again, from the other day:

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your note and your comments. As you can now see from our Otari page, we have included some exciting new product variations. We now offer two versions of the Stereo mixdown recorders, two versions of the four track machines (choice of quarter inch or half inch) and the long awaited return of the half inch 8 track machine. All new of course! We also have some exciting news coming down the analog pike, tentatively at the end of the year. As an FYI, there will be a price increase on these new machines at some point during the year. Demand for the multitrack versions is at a very high level, so if you're considering a new machine, you may wish to contact us regarding the wait list.

We offer complete setup and operation integration of analog and digital gear for our customers as we've been involved in the recording studio setup biz for three decades. If it's analog or digital, we know it.

By the way, if you wish to forward the pdf info you have, we'll see if we can integrate it. Otari Japan won't have new jpgs etc for a while yet. We'll hope to have a better set of detailed specs, pictures, manuals online in the future (especially for the benefit of folks who are currently buyiing these new machines and are in many cases experiencing the integration of analog recorders into digital rigs for the first time). Thank you again for your interest.

Steve Kern
sales@trycho.com
1-800-543-8988

Seeing as I just dropped nearly 4 grand on a motorcycle, I don't think I'll be buying a new multitrack recorder anytime soon.

As a side note, the last bike I had was all analog, but this one has a digital odometer. It's the only thing I don't like about it, he he.

-MD

cjacek said:
I don't have the answers, only speculating but it's obvious they're selling these or none would be made. It's a legit thing.
Well, I hope you'll forgive me, Daniel, but I'm still suspicious and concerned that these guys may just be scam artists.

If I were you, I'd be looking for much harder evidence that Otari is in fact test marketing new small production runs and offering their wares to more then just this one particular retailer who appear to be more of a recording studio services company then a dedicated hardware retailer.

The fact that they are are asking YOU for .pdf's and threatening price increases on products that they don't even have smells bad to me and I wouldn't hand them over one cent until I was satisfied that they're not just hunting down older, gently used machines and passing them off as new stock.

Let's see other authorized Otari dealers selling these decks.

Let's see Otari confirm that your vendor is an authorized dealer.

Be careful. :cool:

I have also written to Otari USA to inquire with them as to the authenticity of this news.

I'll add in their response once they send it to me.

Here's what I wrote to them;

I have read information on http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=2567329#post2567329 that new 2, 4 and 8 track decks are being offered for sale again though a retailer in California who is offering several new, never used Otari recorders.

http://www.trycho.com/trychostore/ANALOG-RECORDERS-TAPE-SUPPLIES-C415.aspx

I am not familiar with this retailer and am writing to you to get confirmation if this vendor is an authorized Otari dealer and is in fact receiving their wares from Otari or if there is something else going on here.

Best regards,

Jeff

Ok, Jeff, fair enough. I'll email Otari Japan as well and see what they say, to have a 100% confirmation. On the other hand, I inquired about multitrack recorders late last year, to Otari Japan direct, and they did confirm they could supply me with the 1/2" 4 track version. That far I know for certain. I will post back as soon as they reply.

I got a reply this morning from Otari, Japan even though I went through the Otari USA web page to write to them?

Here is their response;

Hi Jeff

Regarding your e-mail of 28th April, as for the analogue tape machine.
Currently we are regularly manufacturing MX-5050BIII2 1/4” 2 track
2channels machine only. And MX-5050MK4-4 1/4” 4track 4channel version
or 1/2” 4track 4channel version is still available on request.
However MX-5050MK4-8 1/2” 8track 8channels machine is No longer available.

Regarding Trycho store, I am not sure so I have to check to Otari USA Sales Inc.
in Los Angeles..

Thanks and Best regards
Yoshizawa

So the 8 track is a no go and the 4 track units are, I guess, being built as needed or ordered though I assume this is not something they can do over night if you ordered one? Or, if they are just selling off old remaining inventory only, these too are, I guess, history too?? The letter, as you can see was not very rich in specific detail. :confused:

Any way, my apologies, Daniel, for staining your honor in this matter. Some machines are indeed available to those with money and patience except for the 8 track unit which is officially history according to the e-mail I received.

It strikes me that this development is, regardless of the particular machines being offered, a clear indicator that the "age of digital", is being proven a false claim. The digital folks can no longer state truthfully that their machines are cheaper, that they sound better, or that they are the preferred media for the vast majority of professional users. Neither are they the only game in town anymore. Give it a year and I'm almost certain that you'll see new machines of a boutique nature being manufactured for the same sort of purists that made tube amps continue well past the claimed end of the technology. Hail analog!

Flangerhans said:
It strikes me that this development is, regardless of the particular machines being offered, a clear indicator that the "age of digital", is being proven a false claim.
What on earth is false about it? Go to a musical instrument retailer and see how many digital recording products they offer versus how many analog ones they have.
The digital folks can no longer state truthfully that their machines are cheaper,
Considering that the 2 track Otari is five grand, I have no idea how you can make a statement like that?
that they sound better
You barely have a point there. :p
, or that they are the preferred media for the vast majority of professional users.
Well actually they can make that claim as evidenced by the last 15 years of history.
Neither are they the only game in town anymore.
I don't believe they ever marketed themselves in that way so let's not build up a straw man here.
Give it a year and I'm almost certain that you'll see new machines of a boutique nature being manufactured for the same sort of purists that made tube amps continue well past the claimed end of the technology. Hail analog!
We've been waiting a lot more then 10 years already for new machines to be designed and built as apposed to clear-outs of old stock and reconditioned/refurbished units from the likes of ATR services. Why you are so sure about this is a complete mystery to me?

While I think it's great to see a return of the manufacturing of these machines, with the prices, they may as well be $20,000.

I mean, couldn't you buy a used MX5050 with new heads and get it running up to spec for a fourth of that price? :confused:

Back