Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Heads? Problem?

Thanks

New Heads? Problem?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok,
    I just had some work done by JRF magnetics. I sent him my old TSR-8 headstock and had him order 1 new rec/play head. The pic is from the head. At first look I thought it looked great. Brand new. And its even golden when all other heads I have seen were silver. But today i was looking closely at it with a flashlight when I noticed something. You can see in the pic i have circled the part Im talking about. You cant see these when just looking at it with the naked eye. You have to have a flashlight shined on it and it will reflect. So are these a bad thing? Should i request a new head? Any ideas?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I own: Tascam TSR-8
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Thanks
    Call them and ask. Send them the pic wouldn't hurt either.
    Rick Ruskin
    Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
    http://liondogmusic.com

Thanks
    Anyone else? I kinda want to know what this is before I make a big deal out of it. Im thinking that they are probably not a big deal since they are off to the side of where the tape hits the head but I paid good money for it so I want a perfect head...
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Thanks
    Just to clarify, is this a brand new head from TASCAM or a re-lapped one? Does it come off with alcohol + cotton? I dunno how they're packaged but maybe it's foam that stuck to the head?

Thanks
    Its supposed to be a brand new head from Teac. What you are seeing cant be seen by the naked eye. I only saw it when I was shinning a flashlight on it to have a close look. Its like a reflection of something golden. It appears to be beneath the surface...
    I havent actually gotten to testing it out to see if there is a problem with recording or playback yet.
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Thanks
    i don't know, it looks to me like a relapped head. I don't think this is a brand new head. The little swivel in the pic, i don't think will affect anything. It should be fine

Thanks
    What do you mean by the little swivel in the pic?
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Beck Guest
    It doesnít look exactly like a new TSR-8 head from what I can see. However I always hesitate to make any determination from photos, especially from just one angle. New Tascam heads for these units are a bit different than other heads. The center should come to more of a dull point rather than a half-circle shape. When these heads are relapped they are more rounded like the one in your photo.

However, I havenít seen a brand new Tascam 8-track head for many years. The 38, 48, 58 and TSR-8 have the same heads. Itís possible they changed the design.

The sparkly stuff in your red circle looks like brass that was accidentally carried over from the edge into the business part of the head during relapping. Again, I canít be sure from a photo, but if thatís what it is it would be not so good because of course brass is conductive and thus could bridge those elements that it touches.

How much did they charge you for the head? That could be another clue.

Thanks
    Back home I have a brand new spare TSR-8 head, which I can photograph if anyone is interested. However, I don't think it's ever been removed from its packing, so I'm a little leery of doing so...

Thanks
    I was charged $320.00 from JRF magnetics for the head and 65 to optically align it. I had called Teac and they wanted something like $312.00 for the new head. The one thing I am a little leary about is that the curvature of the radius seems to be a little off-center and towards the right side rather than dead center like I would expect.
    I hate to have to cause a big ruckus if it is a relapped head but i would like to get what I paid for. I can just see it now...I call him and tell him that a bunch of people on a forum think I got shafted with a relapped head.
    I can take some more pics but its very hard to get a good detailed image compareable to what ive seen.
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Thread Information