New Heads? Problem?

Is there any way i could ask him for the reciept he got from Tascam so I could send the Head back to TEAC just based on the visible defect of the brass reflections? Cause Im thinking regardless that I got a bad head from TEAC/TASCAM and would really like a new one. I dont think the brass thingies on the left hand side are acceptable at all and would like to return it for a non-defective one...
I really dont want to have to tell him that I here what you are saying but I dont like the head and i think its not new. That would be basically calling him a liar...

Is there any way i could ask him for the reciept he got from Tascam so I could send the Head back to TEAC just based on the visible defect of the brass reflections?

I think that seems only fair and an effective way to potentially resolve this matter without pissing anyone off or making this situation more complex. Might be a win win scenario. I mean, you paid for the head so you have every right to have a copy of the receipt.

Well I emailed him this morning...
Here is what i emailed to him...
John,
Hi, I have been thinking and I actually have been doing a bit of research on a analog recording website and Ive come to the conclusion that I would like to get the reciept for the new head from TEAC/Tascam and attempt to return it to them just based on the brass things embedded in the head. I have heard from several members of this board that they can lead to bad things happening inside the head and possibly sorting out the internal workings of the head itself. Also if you would like I do have some more shots of the head from several angles. I have been literally sick over this the past 3 days and I am trying really hard to figure out a way to work this out. The fact is that if Im going to be buying a new head I just want to get one that at least doesnt have visible defects in it as this is probably the only "new" head I will ever be buying. I would prefer to not have to get you in any trouble that is why Id like to just get the reciept and go thru Tascam/Teac. Im just not happy with the head based on the visible brass reflections alone.
Please get back to me.
Sorry,
Matt

When you do get the receipt, call TASCAM parts and say you've received a defective head and that you want to exchange it. They'll probably give you an authorization # or something but make sure you have the return OK'd by them first.

Next time, mount the new head and align the recorder yourself.

well I have yet to hear back from JRF but Im a little afraid that hes gonna tell me no or make up some reason that he cant give me the reciept...
Ill post back when I find out...

I certainly understand your fear over that but it's really not his call. You have every right to a copy of that receipt and it is in JRF's best interest to grant you that copy. Otherwise it just looks bad on their side.

If you need to email [or call] them again, be more brief and to the point, something like: Hi John, I respectfully request that you please send me a copy of the receipt for the new head from TASCAM. I in turn will take care of the exchange for the obvious defect in that head. Again, I would prefer to do this myself and that is why the request for the receipt. Thanks -- Matt

I kinda wanted to stay out of this one...

Maybe because I can really relate to how you must be feeling right now 'chute...I'm sorry for that. It stinks.

So many things just don't look right with that head and I'd be shocked if it was new. Not wanting to call the calvary on JRF; they have such a strong reputation and the quality of their services and products is, AFAIK top-notch in every sense.

BUT...look at my edits to one of your pics of the head. I circled a suspect spot in red....man! is that starting to gap or is it just very close to the gap?? Then the blue arrows show the gap line all the way down...not saying that it is never visible, but that just doesn't seem right to me for a new head. And then the green lines...the line on the left is parallel with the edge of the stack of elements and bands, the one on the right follows the line of relief you can see on the polished surface of the head. They aren't parallel to each other and they should be...the grind of the head does not match the overall block, and therefore the zenith is automatically going to be whacked, which is a real issue because the zenith is fixed on TSR-8...the face of the head has to be right or the zenith is off...

Attachments

• poopy head.jpg
    poopy head.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 84
Ah, the mystery deepens and there's the question of what is the source of that head. There's actually more questions than answers, as to what happened between the time Matt sent the head-stack in and received it back but I do agree that this head is not right. Is JRF ultimately responsible for a possible error or oversight? I think so. If John actually checked the head out prior to sending it back, mounted and aligned, then he would have spotted the obvious problem, easily seen in the above photos.

I'm looking at my modded picture from a different mental vantage-point and the glint in the red circle may just be a reflection...:confused:...but that gap band is visible in other pictures you put up, 'chute...and the disparity between the axis of the block and the axis of the polished crest of the face really doesn't look right.

I can't touch John French in knowledge or experience of these matters...absolutely not...I want to make it clear that any and all of my comments should be taken as opinion, but I have tweakered enough in the last two years to (I feel) understand the mechanics of the tape-to-head relationship, and my experience is almost exclusively with that very Teac head...I've got 8 of them at my place between my 48 and 58 and their parts decks in various states of wear, though nearly all are relatively low hours, and none have been relapped that I can tell, and I think all have a more pronounced peak to the crest of the head face...dunno...

If I get a chance I'll measure the distance from the bottom of an edge-relief slot to the peak of the head on one of the heads on my 48 (which are the least worn of any of my heads) and put it up here. If you get into a tussle with JRF :( which would just be an absolute shocker and you have access to a dial caliper you can do the same and that may shut the door on the debate as to whether or not the head is new and defective, or used and poorly relapped.

Hope this gets resolved for you soon.

Couple shots of my 48 heads for reference...not sure if they are helpful or not.

Heads.JPG

Head%2c%20Sync.JPG

Head%2c%20Repro.JPG

Last edited:
From what I can see on Sweetbeats photos the head on my TSR-8 is very similar & more of a square profile with the corners angled across / inwards.

The photos of Poopchutes head are different & more of a rounded shape, my Fostex E-16 heads (90%+ according to the service guy) are the same style / profile, but Fostex new head pictures I've seen are exactly the same.

Most of the Tascam 8 track heads I've seen pictures of seem to have the same profile I've mentioned above?

I've attached a photo of a 1" tascam 16 track head at first look it appears more rounded but a closer look reveals the more square profile of the 8 track Tascam heads

Attachments

• Tascam 1inch head.jpg
    Tascam 1inch head.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 77
Yup, I can certainly vouch for the "square profile" mentioned above. I have my share of inspecting and photographing 58 and 48 heads and they never looked round as in Matt's photos. There is a slight flat top to 'em but never absolutely round. The latter is usually seen in lapped heads.

Well I heard back from JRF and it seems like I scared myself into thinking he was gonna tell me that I was stuck with the head. Thankfully he was super nice about it and offered me another new head as a replacement. I just have to send him back the headstack and he's gonna take care of it. He said he's gonna call me tomorrow and talk to me personally. The only thing Im wondering now is do I have to pay the shipping again or is he? Its not that big of a deal but it would be nice if I didnt have to spend another 15-20 bucks on round trip shipping. Either way I will be glad to get a better new head that at least doesnt have any defects in it.
Sweetbeats, I believe that the thing you circled in red is just a reflection. I cannot see it with a magnifying glass. The only real problems I saw were the Brass reflections...the fact that the tip appeared to be over to the right side of the head (as if it was sanded off center) and that I tought that "NEW" heads had a more pronounced tip to them kinda like an eraser.
Im gladd that JRF is going to back up their product. Hopefully the new head will be defect free...

Out of interest, when you initially discovered the problem, did you send him a photo and say "Any idea what this is?"? That would have been my reaction.

JPMorris...
Yep. Thats pretty much what I did. Then he replied something to the effect that Teac/Tascam hasnt had any trouble with their new heads. Which is what got me to thinking that hes just gonna stonewall me until I go away. Then I emailed him again saying that
I just wasnt happy with the head he gave me...
and if I could get the reciept so I could return it to Tascam/TEAC. Thats when he offered to replace it for me.

that's great that you got the issue resolved.
just for the record, was he able to identify those markings in the first photo you posted? i'm curious how something like affects head performance (or if it's primarily cosmetic).

Well he hasnt really said one way or the other what he thinks the marks are. But I just got another email back and he is now saying he might try to polish the marks out. I emailed him back saying that I prefer a different head and that I didnt think the brass marks would polish out as they appear to be beneath the surface.
Ill see what he says. I mentioned in the email that I would pay the shipping to him if he'd pay it back. Ill keep everyone informed as to the progress...

Im starting to wonder whats taking so long with my Head from JRF. I sent it on Feb 13th and still havent heard from JRF or recieved the heads back. In the emails he sent me he said he'd get right on it and send it back ASAP. I guess Im gonna have to email him...

Well, I was mistaken. I did recieve my heads today. They were just delivered late. I have checked them out and honestly this one looks new. I know I said that before...
I am in the process of charging my camera battery (long story but I have to give it to my friend and they charge it for me cause I lost mine) and then Ill take some pics. But it all looks good this time...

That's certainly good news. Yeah, do take a photo. It'd be interesting to compare the two.

Back