New desk for console

P

pianodano

I have finally got around to building the desk for my Toft atb. I have been working on the buildout for my new studio since November of last year and was ready for the desk. So here it is. Those that are observant may notice that my DM24 is incorporated in the right end. Not shown is the back trim and iso cabinet door.Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Danny

Man I wish I had the patience and skill (and tools) to do that kind of woodwork!
I can do "industrial grade" woodwork....I built all my racks and console desk too...but getting that furniture-grade finish requires more time/skill than I have.

That is a beautiful piece of work! :cool:

On the Toft...besides the EQ section which is what everyone raves about usually with Toft gear...how do you like the rest of the board?

I've considered the Toft 32 channel...but it's a nice chunk of change, and I wonder if for the $7k-$8k if getting some used really up-scale board (like an Amek/Trident or similar) would be equally worth it, though of course, there's nothing like getting *new* gear that you know is going to be trouble-free at least for awhile.
What concerns me with the used boards is that many come from 24/7 installations...so by the time people sell them, they've gotten the best use out of them already.
There was a sweet Amek down in Kentucky a few weeks ago on eBay....came from a college and included *TONS* of NOS spare parts, second PS, etc, etc...sold for like $4500...but that was too much of a ride from NY to go pick-it up...so I let it pass.

I gotta say...the Toft boards are beauties!
Good luck with that and you really have a sweet looking place there! I'm assuming that's the room the console will be occupying...?

Man I wish I had the patience and skill (and tools) to do that kind of woodwork!
I can do "industrial grade" woodwork....I built all my racks and console desk too...but getting that furniture-grade finish requires more time/skill than I have.

That is a beautiful piece of work! :cool:

On the Toft...besides the EQ section which is what everyone raves about usually with Toft gear...how do you like the rest of the board?

I've considered the Toft 32 channel...but it's a nice chunk of change, and I wonder if for the $7k-$8k if getting some used really up-scale board (like an Amek/Trident or similar) would be equally worth it, though of course, there's nothing like getting *new* gear that you know is going to be trouble-free at least for awhile.
What concerns me with the used boards is that many come from 24/7 installations...so by the time people sell them, they've gotten the best use out of them already.
There was a sweet Amek down in Kentucky a few weeks ago on eBay....came from a college and included *TONS* of NOS spare parts, second PS, etc, etc...sold for like $4500...but that was too much of a ride from NY to go pick-it up...so I let it pass.

I gotta say...the Toft boards are beauties!
Good luck with that and you really have a sweet looking place there! I'm assuming that's the room the console will be occupying...?

I love my Toft. I am the owner of an original PP board, so there has been many revisions since mine was built. However, it adds exactly the color that I have always wanted. You are aware of the eq so there is nothing to add there but, the way the board adds the great but oh so subtle distortion is exactly what I wanted. I had a friend down in West Palm Beach that had located a amazing MCI 636 for me, but I passed for the Toft. Yes it was a gamble but I am glad I did it. Unless you have ample spare time, new is the only way to go with a console, afaic.

Several years ago I built my 3 bay workshop in my backyard and has remained unfinished upstairs until now. The studio is now upstairs. With all the angle from the slopes, dormmers and whatnot, music is sounding great so far and I haven't even set up a PC yet to run REW software. I really don't think that it's going to require more that basic trapping and prolly no resonators at all, but we will see.

I am really excited to at last have a tracking room and booth. Overall I have 760 square feet to work with plus all the storage under the knee walls. Everyone already knows that the kick and toms will be electronic and the snare and hats will be acoustic. So far, none of my drummer friends object.
I put down 3/4 stall mats below the Pergo floor. The stuff weighs in at 4 pounds per square foot or 100lbs per 4x6 sheet. Awesome stuff. That alone is providing 23 dB reduction to the downstairs and I haven't even insulated or hung the 5/8 below yet. The control room is approx 14'x 16'.

I will put up pictures of the entire space when everything is setup so stay tuned. And thank to all for the compliments.

Danny

Last edited:
Holy cow. Nice work.

Did I tell you Pianodano, I got a Toft ATB4? Perfect for my 4 track set up. Some of the smartest routing options in this board. It's pretty awesome.

Hey, Danny, it looks FABULOUS.

Replete with "producer's" desk. ;)

I love the side-by-side incorporation of the DM-24...still going strong I assume.

The whole thing looks like a factory option afaic.

Amazing work. I'm in the process of designing a desk for my control as well, but it will be quite modest compared to that work of art. :) Bravo!

Thanks to everyone for your compliments. The mahogany was wood that had belonged to my Father. I kept it all these years for something special - not knowing what I would use it for. A friend told me that I would think of my Dad everytime that I looked at my console - and sure enoungh - I do.

Yes Cory, the DM24 is still a important piece to me. Actually, the 24 channel convertors in the iffw are very nice. Fwiw, I bought 8 channels of Lynx Aurora convertors a couple of years back, but I can barely detect any difference at all. Not sure how I will wire it (the DM24) in yet.

The console desk is designed so that if I ever remove the DM24, the right side will become another desk by installing a top.

Danny,
Beautiful work !! :) and a very nice setup you have. Glad to see your MS16 and your DIY mount for an overbridge for the meter assembly.Danny if you have a chance to take a photo of that from the side and rear and post it I would very much appreciate it. That might make it possible for a much less talented carpenter (me) to fabricate something similar. I have the Tascam blank panel to cover where the meter panel is normally mounted. I just need an idea for building a box to enclose the meter panel and attach it to the rear of the rolling console. Best Regards, Dave

Danny,
Beautiful work !! :) and a very nice setup you have. Glad to see your MS16 and your DIY mount for an overbridge for the meter assembly.Danny if you have a chance to take a photo of that from the side and rear and post it I would very much appreciate it. That might make it possible for a much less talented carpenter (me) to fabricate something similar. I have the Tascam blank panel to cover where the meter panel is normally mounted. I just need an idea for building a box to enclose the meter panel and attach it to the rear of the rolling console. Best Regards, Dave

Hi Dave,

It's been a long time. Hope all is good with you. I will be hooking up the MS-16 very soon and I will be glad to post some pictures for you. I will try to make up sketch for you too.Actually, iirc, the meters are a standard 19" rack size. I can't remember how many spaces though, probably 4 which would be about 4 x 1 3/4" or 7" Plus about a sixteenth.

Yeah the meter chassis is standard rack width, 4U high, 12" deep.

IIRC the kit to fly the meters came with a longer interface cable? Not sure if the stock cable to interface the meters when mounted in the front of the cart is long enough...?

Danny, cool desk, cool story. Instant heirloom. Bet the view of the lake is fantastic from the studio.

Yeah the meter chassis is standard rack width, 4U high, 12" deep.

IIRC the kit to fly the meters came with a longer interface cable? Not sure if the stock cable to interface the meters when mounted in the front of the cart is long enough...?

Danny, cool desk, cool story. Instant heirloom. Bet the view of the lake is fantastic from the studio.

The cable that was on my machine was long enough to make it to the new location. But I really don't know if was original.

Actually Cory, I live right off the intracoastal waterway. The lock entrance to the George Washington Canal is behind my house. Don't really have a good direct view of the locks because there is a wooded section between the water on my side and the canal. Iow, the river forks with with Deep Creek behind my house and the canal cut headed to North Carolina. Amazing history right here. This used to be called the basin, which is where the canal barges would spend the night and all the barge hands would get snookered here in the local taverns.
Here a picture taken around 1955. My neighboorhood went in in 1962. My land and the basin is just out of frame to the right in this picture. Facebook

Picture of head of locks http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...74848037.27041.100001169278044&type=3&theater

House from the water http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...74848037.27041.100001169278044&type=3&theater

Hi Danny,
Yes I visit the forum a lot but haven't posted in a long time :) All is well here in Bangor, Pa. My little studio is busy, bout a couple of projects a month which is just right for an old guy :)
Pictures of the back and side of your MS16 would be great. I actually have a spare meter assembly that I might use. Basically just need to build a box to house it but I wasn't sure about how to mount it to the back of the rolling console. Thought about just using some simple L brackets but perhaps if I can see a detail of how you mounted yours that would give me a good idea to start with.
My MS16 has been great ! No problems at all knock on wood. Initially I had some tape path issues, worn guides and lifters etc but my brother in law was able to polish the guides and lifters in his machine shop and since then all is well. I also picked up some spare guides and lifters and had him polish them up as well so I have some spares for the future. :)
Danny you have a really sweet looking studio. Enjoy and thanks very much. Dave

Back