Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New desk for console

Thanks

New desk for console

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have finally got around to building the desk for my Toft atb. I have been working on the buildout for my new studio since November of last year and was ready for the desk. So here it is. Those that are observant may notice that my DM24 is incorporated in the right end. Not shown is the back trim and iso cabinet door.Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Danny

Thanks

Thanks
    That looks VERY NICE!!!!
    Well done.

Thanks
    Beautiful!

Cheers!

Thanks
    thanks guys.

Thanks
    Beautiful! And timely too. Today Im working on my "desk", but it is very modest compared to your effort!

Thanks
    Man that's epic! VERY nice!

Thanks
    Man I wish I had the patience and skill (and tools) to do that kind of woodwork!
    I can do "industrial grade" woodwork....I built all my racks and console desk too...but getting that furniture-grade finish requires more time/skill than I have.

That is a beautiful piece of work!

On the Toft...besides the EQ section which is what everyone raves about usually with Toft gear...how do you like the rest of the board?

I've considered the Toft 32 channel...but it's a nice chunk of change, and I wonder if for the $7k-$8k if getting some used really up-scale board (like an Amek/Trident or similar) would be equally worth it, though of course, there's nothing like getting *new* gear that you know is going to be trouble-free at least for awhile.
    What concerns me with the used boards is that many come from 24/7 installations...so by the time people sell them, they've gotten the best use out of them already.
    There was a sweet Amek down in Kentucky a few weeks ago on eBay....came from a college and included *TONS* of NOS spare parts, second PS, etc, etc...sold for like $4500...but that was too much of a ride from NY to go pick-it up...so I let it pass.

I gotta say...the Toft boards are beauties!
    Good luck with that and you really have a sweet looking place there! I'm assuming that's the room the console will be occupying...?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Man I wish I had the patience and skill (and tools) to do that kind of woodwork!
    I can do "industrial grade" woodwork....I built all my racks and console desk too...but getting that furniture-grade finish requires more time/skill than I have.

That is a beautiful piece of work!

On the Toft...besides the EQ section which is what everyone raves about usually with Toft gear...how do you like the rest of the board?

I've considered the Toft 32 channel...but it's a nice chunk of change, and I wonder if for the $7k-$8k if getting some used really up-scale board (like an Amek/Trident or similar) would be equally worth it, though of course, there's nothing like getting *new* gear that you know is going to be trouble-free at least for awhile.
    What concerns me with the used boards is that many come from 24/7 installations...so by the time people sell them, they've gotten the best use out of them already.
    There was a sweet Amek down in Kentucky a few weeks ago on eBay....came from a college and included *TONS* of NOS spare parts, second PS, etc, etc...sold for like $4500...but that was too much of a ride from NY to go pick-it up...so I let it pass.

I gotta say...the Toft boards are beauties!
    Good luck with that and you really have a sweet looking place there! I'm assuming that's the room the console will be occupying...?

I love my Toft. I am the owner of an original PP board, so there has been many revisions since mine was built. However, it adds exactly the color that I have always wanted. You are aware of the eq so there is nothing to add there but, the way the board adds the great but oh so subtle distortion is exactly what I wanted. I had a friend down in West Palm Beach that had located a amazing MCI 636 for me, but I passed for the Toft. Yes it was a gamble but I am glad I did it. Unless you have ample spare time, new is the only way to go with a console, afaic.

Several years ago I built my 3 bay workshop in my backyard and has remained unfinished upstairs until now. The studio is now upstairs. With all the angle from the slopes, dormmers and whatnot, music is sounding great so far and I haven't even set up a PC yet to run REW software. I really don't think that it's going to require more that basic trapping and prolly no resonators at all, but we will see.

I am really excited to at last have a tracking room and booth. Overall I have 760 square feet to work with plus all the storage under the knee walls. Everyone already knows that the kick and toms will be electronic and the snare and hats will be acoustic. So far, none of my drummer friends object.
    I put down 3/4 stall mats below the Pergo floor. The stuff weighs in at 4 pounds per square foot or 100lbs per 4x6 sheet. Awesome stuff. That alone is providing 23 dB reduction to the downstairs and I haven't even insulated or hung the 5/8 below yet. The control room is approx 14'x 16'.

I will put up pictures of the entire space when everything is setup so stay tuned. And thank to all for the compliments.

Danny
    Last edited by pianodano; 04-28-2012 at 18:29.

Thanks
    Holy cow. Nice work.

Did I tell you Pianodano, I got a Toft ATB4? Perfect for my 4 track set up. Some of the smartest routing options in this board. It's pretty awesome.
    "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."

Thread Information