new to analog recordings...where do i start?

colorir

hi...i'm new to analog recordings.
i have an instrumental band...psychadelic dub rock jazz...just drums and guitars with lots of effects...
what do i need to start recording?
what is the essential equipment to start recording?
we want analog mostly to get that rich sound from jamaican recordings from the 70's (augustus pablo, old marley) and all that noise range from stuff like hendrix and zeppelin...and we like to record live...no overdubs at all...jkust mixing overdub...like dub..echo...reverb...
if anyone can help...i'd really apreciate...if you can list the essential equipments it would be really helpfull...thanks alot...
colorir

Microphones-
Microphone Preamps-
Mixer-
Outboard Processors for reverb/delay-
Cables-

Cheapest route would be a older all in one recorder from Korg, Roland or Yamaha. A mic kit where 5 different mics are sold as a set with cables.

$2500 USD roughy.

SoMm

thanks for replying...we do have a philips 8mm tape recorder from the 80's wich we believe is a four track.
what kind of mixer do we need? brand name?
what about microphones? there are any specific microphones for analog recordings? same with the preamps?
thanks alot...

Soundcraft makes some nice little mixers, look at Folio or Mackie CFX series with built in effects. For mics for a 4 track I would get MXL 603S condensors and a Studio Projects B1 Condensor. Track live to 3 tracks and save the 4th for anything you would like to add like a solo or something. With a little experimentation you can get some pretty good sounds. Make sure whatever mixer you get supports at least 4 XLR inputs with 48V Phantom power and 30db of gain to start. With some research you find plenty of info on where to put the mic stands to capture your group.

SoMm

Back