Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New 388 problem

Thanks

New 388 problem

Sign in to disable this ad
    So many of you may remember that I acquired a free Tascam 388 after finally getting a working analog rig up and running with my Fostex 80. Well, it looks as though the Fostex is still going to be top dog for at least a while.

After moving into a new house, I finally got the studio set up and got down to putting the 388 through its paces. It didn't last too long. I successfully loaded tape using its "LOAD" feature, checked PLAY, FF, and RW, and then set out to record my first track. However, while I was working on that, the transport died. I was rewinding to 00 on the counter, pressed STOP, and then it stopped responding. Wouldn't play, FF, or RW.

I turned it off and back on. It seemed to fix itself for about 5 seconds, and I had control again. But then it died again.

The transport's been dead ever since after about 3 or 4 different attempts.

Anyone have a clue as to where I should start troubleshooting?

The only bit of maintenance I'd done on this machine after getting it was putting a new belt on because the old one was stretched out and not even on the wheels when I got it.

Thanks for any help!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Calling Sweetbeats! We need something like a bat signal for him!

Thanks
    Sounds like a relay and/or the transport logic....but where to look...?...I couldn't begin to tell you without at least seeing the schematics.

Cory may certainly have deeper insight and suggestions....hope he can help you sort it out.

Thanks
    Thanks y'all.

Yes ... "Help me Obi-Wan Sweetbeats ... you're my only hope!"
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Fuses????
    We've got bush,We've got bush!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j.harv View Post
    Fuses????
    I was wondering about that. That was gonna be the first thing I checked if I didn't hear any better ideas. Thanks!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    I would start by reseating the power supply board, check and see if that fixes, if not, reseat the...um...it's either the reel servo board or the capstan servo board...one is plugin and the other is not...anyway, the one right next to the power supply board...reseat that and then check if it is working.

Start there and report back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    I would start by reseating the power supply board, check and see if that fixes, if not, reseat the...um...it's either the reel servo board or the capstan servo board...one is plugin and the other is not...anyway, the one right next to the power supply board...reseat that and then check if it is working.

Start there and report back.
    Thanks Cory. I'll get to that in a few days probably. I may find time to do it this evening, but I'm not sure.
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Well, crossing fingers! I checked all the fuses, and they were good. So then I moved on to your suggestions Cory and re-seated those two PCB cards. (I sprayed some Deoxit in the connections first even though you didn't say to. I figured it couldn't hurt ... right?) And it's been brought back to life so far!

Right now I'm playing a tape and am going to let it get all the way through it to see if it makes it.

Any other thoughts Cory? Is this common in what you've seen? What's the issue? Just some oxidation or grime that gets in those connections or something?

If this indeed was "the fix," do you think I can expect it to be good for a long while? I know you can't predict the future, but what I mean is ... have you ever fixed something by doing this (reseating cards) and experienced long continuous problem-free functionality afterwards?

Thanks so much for your help so far!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Update

The transport still seems to be solid after reseating those two PCB boards. So tonight I started trying to make some test recordings. I didn't get far before I ran into more trouble.

I was trying to record a line-in signal on channels 1 and 2; it was a song playing from my phone. The first thing I thought was odd was that, even with the volume on my phone at full blast, and even with the trim set to max (with the channel set to LINE), the OL light would never flash. At any rate, I seemed to be getting a good level on the meters when I assigned the two channels to the 1-2 program.

However, when I tried to listen to the monitor cue, I was getting nothing --- just a barely audible signal even with the monitor gain maxed out and the phones turned up to max. I made sure the MON switch was up, like the manual said (although I tried down as well just to be sure).

When I assigned channels 1 & 2 to the stereo mix, though, it came in loud and clear. And the good news is that it is recording. I recorded the song for 10 seconds and played it back with the channels set to RMX, and it played back perfectly and sounded good.

So I'm guessing it's something to do with the monitor section maybe?

Since I still had the top plate off (after reseating the first two cards), I went ahead and reseated all the others up there as well. I'm still having the issue, so my next thought was to reseat all the channel cards, etc.

I took off all the knobs and faders and removed the six perimeter screws on the mixing panel and tried to lift it off, but something wasn't giving way, so I stopped.

Do I need to remove the nuts around the pots as well before I'll be able to pull off the front panel?

Or is it better to go in through the back panel to reseat the channel cards and all?

Thanks! I'm getting hopeful that I might actually get this thing up and going.
    famous beagle

Thread Information