New 388 problem

You learned a lot on this one and did well, and if I'm not mistaken the additional good news is your 388 is 100% functional.

That's absolutely right, and I owe it to you! :)

And I appreciate the analogy regarding the line level question. That helps clear it up for sure.

Another quick and dirty: put a simple HP amp in the HP circuit. As long as it has a level control it can act as an attenuator as well as an amplifier. Use the 388 mon out control to set your comfortable speaker level. Personally I'd set the mon out at 12:00 and then just the TC until the speakers are loud, not deafening. Adjust the HP amps control to taste for the phones. You can do this with your extra member, just a few more controls to fuss with. Do you know what line level your amp likes? +8, +4, 0, -10?

Hmmm ... I'm not exactly sure on that last question. I looked in the manual but didn't see any figures with regards to line level dB. It did say this though:

The RA-100 includes two unbalanced, 1/4" phone jack inputs. These are compatible with the low-impedance, unbalanced, high level outputs typically emanating from equipment such as mixers, synthesizers, samplers, direct boxes, etc. Guitars, microphones, and other low-level/high impedance output devices require a power amp.

Sweet victory! The 388 is completely buttoned back up and back in the saddle.

I ran the MON OUTs of the 388 to channels 1 and 2 of my Behri mixer, added some gain there, and sent the main outs from the Behri on to the patch bay, where they can be fed into the Level Pilot--> power amp --> speaker path. Works like a charm! Now I have the headphones set at a comfortable level, and level coming out of my speakers when listening to the 388 MON jacks is equal to that of when I listen straight off my computer's interface.

Thanks to everyone for all your help! Time to get to recording on this thing! :)

Three cheers, huzzah and all that.

I'm genuinely happy we could figure it out. You did a great job collaborating. The success wouldn't be possible without your ability to execute the directions, identify and communicate information I couldn't see or know, and ask questions. The last one might be the most important. Anyway, good job and congratulations.

Enjoy, and make some music! :thumbs up:

What an amazing thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading through all of this. I'm looking forward to learning about my 388 now

Back