Need new turntable cartridge: Opinions?

lo.fi.love

Functionally obsessed.
Hey friends,

I need a new cartridge and my budget is $125 max. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not going to do any wicked scratching or weird turntable feats, just listening :)

I really like the Shure M97xE. As a bonus, you can probably find replacement styluses fairly easily in a local shop.
M97xE would be a decent choice and they don't cost too much. Grado is a great sounding Cart and they make one around that price range but they're unshielded and can sometimes pick up a little hum from that direct drive motor as they get close to the spindle.

Here's a good source:
http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Cartridges?sort1desc=T&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTOMERPRICE

I'm reasonably experienced with playback carts at various price points, and I think the Shure M97xE is probably the best currently available all-around cart under a few hundred bucks. They have decent styli which track well, and they sound pretty clean, pretty vanilla, which is where I'd aim at your budget. I bought my first one for $110 and thought it was very good at that price, bought my second one for 70 which was a total bargain, and now the things are down to $52 on Amazon...it's a no-brainer, hell, get two lol.

Be advised that their optimal tracking force is pretty light, and will depend on whether you have the dynamic stabilizer brush down (personally I suggest using it, and you'll want VTF somewhere between 1.25g-1.5g in that case). The Shure is a pretty light, lower compliance cart; AT doesn't offer your tonearm mass in the specs but it's probably not very low-mass so they should get along ok.

Other options, I dunno, I've never heard an AT cart that I didn't find kind of hard and strident in the highs/upper mids but YMMV; Grados don't play nice with turntables that use AC motors; Sumiko Pearls are decent but they cost more than an M97xE does and don't exceed their performance, so we're right back at "get the Shure" far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
; Grados don't play nice with turntables that use AC motors; .
well ...... really mainly direct drive 'tables because the cart gets right up on that motor. And that's what he has which is why I mentioned it.
But if it's a belt drive then the motor would be off where it wouldn't be a problem. I had a Grado for a little while on my Denon 'living room' 'table which is direct drive and it would hum but ONLY when it got close to the center where the motor is.
So I think they'd be fine on a belt drive with the motor off in the far corner.

well ...... really mainly direct drive 'tables because the cart gets right up on that motor. And that's what he has which is why I mentioned it.
But if it's a belt drive then the motor would be off where it wouldn't be a problem. I had a Grado for a little while on my Denon 'living room' 'table which is direct drive and it would hum but ONLY when it got close to the center where the motor is.
So I think they'd be fine on a belt drive with the motor off in the far corner.

I have observed the hum issue still presenting itself on belt driven AC motor 'tables whose motors are mounted either under or aft of the platter. They're musical sounding carts, but really best saved for DC motor 'tables; I've heard 'em be varying degrees hum city on Linns, AR, VPI HW, Rega, Tech 1200. Your mileage may vary!

I agree that the position of an AC motor on a DD 'table makes it the least desirable of the lot, and have also observed the hum becoming worse as the mags get closer to the motor, that's gonna happen.

BTW lo.fi, was there something you didn't like about your old cart, or was it just broken/worn out (or both lol)?

Last edited:
BTW lo.fi, was there something you didn't like about your old cart, or was it just broken/worn out (or both lol)?

It just sounded really crummy. It lacked a lot of definition on records which I knew sounded great on other turntables.

The performance of the needle + cartridge (on the stock cartridge that came with the turntable) degraded over time until it was just unusable. It's broken now, mechanically, and I need a new one, and I want to step up to a DECENT combo :)

I went with the Shure M97xE, by the way. Just bought one on Amazon for around $52.

Congrats! Let us know how you like it. I think they're an outstanding value.

I currently have one on my "B" turntable rig which is so heavily modified I don't know what to call it anymore, but it's equivalent to I guess about a $1500 rig, mostly Merrill parts with an AR motor and sub-plinth, and an Audioquest tonearm. The M97xE does a good job on it.

It just sounded really crummy. It lacked a lot of definition on records which I knew sounded great on other turntables.

Fair enough! Although...you have me wondering if your setup was optimized.

Make sure you keep your turntable on something massive and sturdy that isn't prone to vibration, make sure the platter is dead level, and be sure to align the cartridge properly.

Go here and get yourself an alignment tool and bubble level if you don't already have them (forget the paper alignment grid that may or may not come with your cart).

Looks like they also have a VTF gauge for cheap now, but I haven't used it and can't vouch for it. I own and can recommend the Shure SFG-2 VTF gauge for about 20 bucks (though I now use a digital gauge which I got for only a little more). Forget the VTF markings on your tonearm weight, if it has them. I haven't run into any yet that were particularly accurate.

These are the basics to get your cart aligned and set up properly. A poorly set up $1500 cart will sound much worse than a properly set up $50 cart. Sorry if this isn't news to ya, just throwing it out there!

Last edited:
Go here and get yourself an alignment tool and bubble level if you don't already have them (forget the paper alignment grid that may or may not come with your cart).

They sold out of the mirrored protractors. No response to my e-mail asking when more would be available. That protractor sells for $50 on Fleabay. I bought this cheap Ortofon from Needle Doctor instead.

If the TT Basics ones are out, also check out the Mobile Fidelity Geodisc. More expensive unfortunately, but they do work well.

The Turntable Basics one is a copy of the AVID universal protractor. You can find it on Fleabay if you simply must have that style.

The Audio Technica cartridge (unknown model number) in my backup turntable (Technics SL-230) sounds dull. I have an Empire LTD 500 in unknown working condition with a missing needle that I'm considering buying a needle for. Would it be worth $40 or $50 to find out if it still works?

The Turntable Basics one is a copy of the AVID universal protractor. You can find it on Fleabay if you simply must have that style.

The Audio Technica cartridge (unknown model number) in my backup turntable (Technics SL-230) sounds dull. I have an Empire LTD 500 in unknown working condition with a missing needle that I'm considering buying a needle for. Would it be worth $40 or $50 to find out if it still works?
man I don't know. If it's not in good shape it'll be a total waste of $$$

Plus the elastomers and/or suspension in carts can wear out too. I actually usually replace the entire cart myself and there's just so many to choose from at all price levels.
Phono Cartridge

Man, you guys are OBSESSED! I'm kidding because of course this is the right place to nerd out on these things :)

I'm familiar with setting up a turntable, maintaining it, adjusting it properly and so on, which is why I couldn't figure out how the needle that came with the turntable just sounded so shitty. Not only that, but the contacts in the cartridge started to break down or something, and I had to BEND the needle back and forth just for it to make contact again!

Anyway, Things'll be better once I get the new cartridge.

Man, you guys are OBSESSED! I'm kidding because of course this is the right place to nerd out on these things :)

you have no idea!

Right now I'm lusting after a Simon Yorke table but there's no way I can swing that much money. (7-10,000 dollars used)

And all the carts I'd like are 7 or 8 hundred and up.
You can easily spend 10,000 on a cart and that's gonna be a low output MC so you're gonna need an extra step up stage of some kind or a really nice phono pre that can handle low output carts.

And you can easily spend 35-50 thousand on a 'table and even more.

Then they have maniacs that adjust VTA for different thicknesses of records and so forth.
I've finally quit being so obsessive about it.
It's important to have your table and arm and cart set up correctly though ..... it makes a big difference.
And I'm a big believer in a good record cleaning machine. I think the bang for the buck unit is the VPI 16.5. I have one ....... used to have a Nitty Gritty but I way prefer the VPI.

you have no idea!

Right now I'm lusting after a Simon Yorke table but there's no way I can swing that much money. (7-10,000 dollars used)

And all the carts I'd like are 7 or 8 hundred and up.

Then they have maniacs that adjust VTA for different thicknesses of records and so forth.
I've finally quit being so obsessive about it.
It's important to have your table and arm and cart set up correctly though ..... it makes a big difference.
And I'm a big believer in a good record cleaning machine. I think the bang for the buck unit is the VPI 16.5. I have one ....... used to have a Nitty Gritty but I way prefer the VPI.

Yup, yup, yup!

Speaking of insanity, my "A" rig is a Michell Gyro SE with an Origin Live Silver 2 tonearm and the cart is a Benz-Micro H2 Woodbody. I send it through tube amps and crazy speakers. Very big, smooth and musical sounding, huge soundstage, and it's a much easier rig to keep dialed in than my AR FrankenMerrill. Love it!

I don't know where the next stop would be...a lucky lotto ticket first of all :D then who knows, La Platine Verdier, SME...

I also have a VPI 16.5 with which I use MoFi brushes, Disc Doctor fluid and distilled water and I agree, very good units...I just wish they weren't so LOUD! I've seen those WallyTractors too, they look cool but they sure ain't giving them away!

DIGGY DUDE, I agree with Bob, just replace that cart. That same 50 bucks will get you the Shure M97xE we've been discussing, and you'll know for sure that the cart suspension isn't knackered.

Back