need help with TSR-8

Milkfaj

I just got a Tascam TSR-8 and i love it. I am new to R2Rs though, and i have a lot of questions.

1- Do i really have to degauss every day? i dont have a degauser yet. I dont care about the tapes i have right now because they are used and there is notheing good on them, i just dont want to damage the machine.

2- the holddown hub on the takeup reel is busted and i have to use cardboard shims to hold it steady. this seems to work fine, but does anyone know how readily availible parts like this are from tascam?

3- when the tape is running, it scrapes on the side of the metal reel, mostly on the take up side. i think the reels are a little bent. is this going to damage the tapes? It makes an annoying noise, but i can deal with that.

4- The thing takes RCA inputs (i thought it would take 1/4") im getting an allan and heath 16 channel mix wizard. Should i just buy 16 RCA to 1/4" adapters? or is there a better solution?

thanks for any advice you can offer me!

You've got a really nice machine there. :)

You don't have to deguass every day -- I do it about once a week and before any serious "keeper" sessions.

Tascam has the parts.

The plastic hub is called a reel clamper Part # 5740003400. There is also a reel spacer that goes between the reel clamper and the reel table, part # 5800326600. They are cheap so I would buy two of those even if you just replace one clamper. They often go missing on old machines, but are very important to keep the downward torque from breaking the plastic hubs.

The rubbing of the reel could be because of the clamper or you may have a deformed reel flange that needs to be straightened or replaced.

Yes, constant rubbing will damage the tape edge. Ideally you want to eliminate that sort of friction and noise.

You can use adaptors, but its best to make or buy a set with the appropriate connectors on each end. http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/CPR-800.html makes many different configurations. Unbalanced cables like RCA and Phono should have short as possible cable lengths, but not so tight as to restrict rearrangement.

Tascam Parts
parts@tascam.com
parts@teac.com

Phone: (323) 726-0303
(323) 727-4840

Try the numbers during business hours and they get them out fast.

-Tim :cool:

Last edited:
Beck said:
You can use adaptors, but its best to make or buy a set with the appropriate connectors on each end. http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/CPR-800.html makes many different configurations.

Proel also do them - for this application you'd need the "RECORD300" which has 8x 6.5mm TS jacks - 8x RCA males, 3m cable length which isn't too long so long as you haven't got huge amounts of RF floating around.

Cya
Andrew

A Sub-question

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/reviews/decks/tsr8.html

Here is a user review of a TSR-8. Thoughts?

Is Tascam customer service REALLY that bad?

Also, would it really make a difference if I mounted the tape machine horizontally? (I'm thinkin', gravity would come into play and make a higher risk for an uneven packing on the reel, but what do I know?)

Also, how much more difficult is it to calibrate it with the 2-head design? (I suppose all you'd have trouble with is adjusting the record level and record bias, as this would involve repeated rewinding and playing back of your guesstimate adjustments...)

Thanks! :)
-callie-

Back