Need Help Recording with an Analog Mixer

Neal Friedman

Hey everybody, I'm posting here because I've come to a dead end in trying to hook up my Tascam 312B through a Focusrite Scarlett Interface to my laptop and Garageband. I know it's easier to do all digital sometimes and I will get Logic when I have the money, but I really want to practice and mess around running some stuff through the Tascam. Right now I have a couple patch cables running from the Tascam's direct outs to the line inputs of the Focusrite, but I'm not getting a signal in Garageband. Garageband recognizes the focusrite though. Any advice on how to proceed or alternate ways to set up would be much appreciated!

Step 1 is to figure out if the Scarlett is behaving.

Have you tried plugging a mike straight into the Scarlett and recording that?

Have you tried plugging something else (e.g. a guitar) into the Scarlett and tried that?

Step 2 is to figure out if there is signal coming from the Tascam.

After connecting it to the Scarlett, can you hear anything through the Scarelett's headphone socket?

Do you have other outputs from the Tascam that you can try?

Step 3 is to figure out whether Garageband is set up ok.

If it recognises the Scarlett ok, that's a start. Do you have to set up GB to record on a particular channel?

Neal, gecko is right on with his comments. I don’t have a focusrite, but I have an interface running off my 312b board.
If you are sure the GarageBand is recording to things plugged directly into your audio interface, then we can work on the tascam end of it.

Which Focusrite model is it? Are you going into the front line jacks? Do the level LEDs blink on the F'rite?

Then there is the MixControl routing software. I have read that this can be a PITA to sort out. I am shortly putting an 8i6 into service and shall be getting into that soon.

Basically, works backwards. Output to inputs.

Dave.

Back