My TEAC's very first component failure!

Lance Lawson

This weekend I set aside to calibrate my TEAC A-2300 SD give it a service and adjust a few issues that have been present since the machine was new. Specifically this was an imbalance in the playback EQ between left and right channels. The right channel has always had slightly more highs in the right channel. Also the right meter has been showing slightly low even when the playback gains are perfectly balanced. Since I've decided to stick with RMG 468 for the foreseeable future it seems a good time to set the machine to optimize the 468.

Anyway after a great deal of work I had the TEAC purring along and essentially duplicating what I was hearing in the incoming signal with the playback signal. It was great fun flipping the monitor/source switches and having an almost dead on sound between them. I felt that this was the best this machine has ever performed and wearing my Sennheiser 280 HD's I sat back listened to the music and enjoyed the aromas of electrical cleaner, warm fresh oil and RMG 468 tape tracking faithfully over the heads. But the day was to throw me an unexpected curve.

The last time I had used microphones with the TEAC (1992?) there was a bit of intermittent gain and static on the mic level pots. I knew this to be the sound of dirty pots and planned to clean them eventually. Today was the day and said pots are operating textbook fine however as I write this the TEAC is not capable of accepting microphones. When I plugged my trusty SM-58 into the left channel the jack slipped in,m held for a moment then became unlocked in the hole and mic signal was lost. I repeated this in the right channel and the same thing happened. Fearing and suspecting this was not a good omen I pulled the bottom cover again and had several pieces of black plastic come falling out. I was at first mystified until I noticed the dangling wire near one of the mic jacks. Seems the entire lower of the mic and headphone jacks are made of plastic. When a jack is inserted into the hole the entire plastic housing goes under a bit of stress from the securing tang and this caused both left and right channels to have the plastic fail. After learning what failed I hot wired the mic to test the gain and post action and all is perfect. So I'm off to Radio Shack in the AM to procure 3 jacks as I'm replacing the headphone jack too before it too lets go. The operation is simple BTW. But who would have thought that TEAC would have skimped on something like the mic jacks. I may splurge and get gold plated ones.

Attachments

• TEAC mic jacks 001.jpg
    TEAC mic jacks 001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 45
  • TEAC mic jacks 002.jpg
    TEAC mic jacks 002.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 42
The new Mic input jacks are installed but unfortunately my local Radio Shack had nothing in the way of these jacks....gold or otherwise. So I traveled down the strip to my local guitar/music store which carries a nice selection of recording equipment. I have an excellent rapport with that store and I'm working on getting them to stock reel to reel tape again. Anyway they had exactly what I needed. I was informed that input jacks like mine are common failures these days in all kinds of things. Fortunately all my performing gear is from before the era of plastic jack inputs.

The installation of the new jacks was not quite as straightforward as I assumed it would be. The two key complications were the threads that Teac used on the external securing bezels are of a unique (metric?) thread so that dashed my hope of using the original bezels again. The second complication had to do with the new jacks being rather longer than the Teac ones as well as an issue with the large vinyl grommet that aligns the jack in the facia. I
I solved both issues by packing the underside of the new jacks with a washer and spare retainer nut scavanged from an old mixer long dead. The photos show the underside shimming and the finished installation. The new jacks use nuts instead of round retainers as still on the headphone jack. I didn't do the headphone jack because they didn't have a stereo one in stock. No matter I'll get to it in oh say another decade or so lol.

The good news is the mic inputs are working properly and the pots work in perfect liner gain again.

Attachments

• TEAC New Jacks installed 004.jpg
    TEAC New Jacks installed 004.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 44
  • TEAC New Jacks installedwrk 017.jpg
    TEAC New Jacks installedwrk 017.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 41
Good job!!!
Its nice and gratifying to be able to repair your own gear. In this day and age, its actually nice to be able to repair ANYTHING, since if this was a new-ish piece of equiment, it would probably nave been made with some moulded in place non-standard impossible to access piece of s*** component that would make you either never be able to use mics again or cause you to pitch the whole thing in the trash in disgust.

I never liked the quality of Radio shack but I went their about a year ago for something and was surprised to only see cellphone accessories lining the walls where replacement components us to be. At least that's around here.

I never liked the quality of Radio shack but I went their about a year ago for something and was surprised to only see cellphone accessories lining the walls where replacement components us to be. At least that's around here.

My local RS has a decent selection of hardware but not like the old days. I the end I didn't purchase from them.

Back