My old Onkyo dual cassette deck will not record.

Are you using a cassette which has the record safety tab punched out? If so, tape the hole back over or try a fresh tape.

If that's not it, let us know.

Cheers! :)

Even simpler than that, do you have to hold down record and press 'play'? I don't remember seeing many decks that will go immediately into record mode, as a safety feature.

They say it is common for these used older tape decks to not work. Will it be hard to find anyone who can repair the tape deck?

The record button looks and presses normal but does not work.

that's not what he said.
Look at the tape itself and check the safety tabs on the tape itself.
If they are punched out it will NOT record.

Yes .... it can be hard to find someone to repair it.
If it is bad just throw it away and get another. They cost almost nothing in pawnshops or ebay.

A piano-saurus transport will not allow the record key to be pressed down and locked if the record safety tab is out on the cassette shell. So it's something else.

I didn't see the OP confirming if he tried what jpmorris asked you about in post # 3, so double check that too.

And yeah, used older consumer cassette decks are a dime a dozen on Craig's list. So just find another bargain unit somewhere. It's not worth repairing.

Cheers! :)

A piano-saurus transport will not allow the record key to be pressed down and locked if the record safety tab is out on the cassette shell. So it's something else.

All the ones I'm seeing by that make are logic-controlled. In which case it will silently ignore it if the tab is in place.

grh, it would be nice if we had a model number, they seem to have been quite a prolific manufacturer.

Back