My MS16 is gone.

It took close to a year to sell it but today it finally went. :):o

It ended up going to the guy who wants to run it with GP9 like his other MS16 is set up to and will most likely be using mine as a parts deck as his heads on his original machine are wearing down.

I'm kind of sad to see it go but know it was of no real use to me any longer so I guess its for the best.

Cheers! :)

A parts deck? WOW, I thought it was in almost perfect shape with the exception of a few minor glitches. I'm happy you got the money anyway. Was that the last of the recording equipment?

A parts deck? WOW, I thought it was in almost perfect shape with the exception of a few minor glitches. I'm happy you got the money anyway. Was that the last of the recording equipment?

It was in very good shape after I got the heads re-lapped and had a number of intermittent channels repaired back in 2006. Trouble is, it sat unused for 4 years after that and when I went to test it out yesterday to make sure everything was still good, a number of channels were acting up all over again, needing to be re-seated in order to work. I informed the buyer about this but it didn't deter him from buying it as he knows stuff like that will happen when a deck just sits there unused for a long period of time. He was a bit dejected to learn that but I thought it best to be straight with him as he seemed like a good guy and I would have felt like a scumbag if I kept my mouth shut...so I'm glad I tested it and told him about it.

Oh, and yes, that was the last of the multi track gear to sell off. I still have the CD recorder, my guitar and one keyboard left but if they don't sell it won't be a big deal as they don't take up much space.

Wowww, Jeff...gone.

Congrats. I know this has been a burden. I bet firing it up and having glitchy things elicited mixed emotions (and strong ones at that...feaking out that it would break the deal and yet a renewed urgency to get it moved out)?

Ahhhhh. Movin' on.

Sad to see it go... I know where you are. I got my MS-16 calibrated up and put it in the local craigslist. One card had a broken bias pot so the channel was dead. A quick pull from the spare cards brought it back online. Still, as I was getting it ready to list I was thinking about how to keep it. I had to argue with myself that I don't need 16 channels, don't have the room and could us the cash. Hopefully it will not take a year.

My heart is with you in this.

--Ethan

Wowww, Jeff...gone.

Congrats. I know this has been a burden. I bet firing it up and having glitchy things elicited mixed emotions (and strong ones at that...feaking out that it would break the deal and yet a renewed urgency to get it moved out)?

Ahhhhh. Movin' on.
Yeah, I thought it would be a deal killer for sure and tossed and turned all night last night before the buyer came over today to buy it. I was furious at the technician who charged me so much money to supposedly fix these issues and knew that bitching about it to him 4 years after the fact would be an exercise in futility. Amazingly though, I did manage to get a 1khz tone recorded onto all 16 channels and then get all 16 channels to play back the tone off of both heads. So maybe all it needed was a bit of "exercise" to get the cobwebs out of it? It does bring the phrase to mind; "use it or lose it". :eek:

Anyway, the buyer seemed comfortable about dealing with the issue and possibly needing to get it looked at again by the same technician, as he and I both used the same guy for maintenance. I truly hope things go well for him with it and as he is a daily, active recordist, I'm sure he'll get it going properly.

All that said, I've felt really empty inside with it now gone. What will I photograph now? :confused::(

Anyway, life goes on. ;)

Sad to see it go... I know where you are. I got my MS-16 calibrated up and put it in the local craigslist. One card had a broken bias pot so the channel was dead. A quick pull from the spare cards brought it back online. Still, as I was getting it ready to list I was thinking about how to keep it. I had to argue with myself that I don't need 16 channels, don't have the room and could us the cash. Hopefully it will not take a year.

My heart is with you in this.

--Ethan

Best of luck finding a buyer for yours quicker then me. The current economy is not the best one for finding musicians with money, as I spoke with dozens of them during the past year who all wanted the machine but who were all universally broke. :o

All that said, I've felt really empty inside with it now gone. What will I photograph now? :confused::(

Anyway, life goes on. ;)

Tell you what, I'll do a new photo or two of the M-23 2-track. I got some new bulbs, so all the lights work. This time, I"ll also do one with the machine in record mode, with all the bright red lights going. It's rather nice to look at... sounds pretty good, too.

Sorry about the MS16, though.

Cheers,

Otto

Yeah, I thought it would be a deal killer for sure and tossed and turned all night last night before the buyer came over today to buy it. I was furious at the technician who charged me so much money to supposedly fix these issues and knew that bitching about it to him 4 years after the fact would be an exercise in futility. Amazingly though, I did manage to get a 1khz tone recorded onto all 16 channels and then get all 16 channels to play back the tone off of both heads. So maybe all it needed was a bit of "exercise" to get the cobwebs out of it? It does bring the phrase to mind; "use it or lose it". :eek:

Anyway, the buyer seemed comfortable about dealing with the issue and possibly needing to get it looked at again by the same technician, as he and I both used the same guy for maintenance. I truly hope things go well for him with it and as he is a daily, active recordist, I'm sure he'll get it going properly.

Anyway, life goes on. ;)

Brings a tear to my eye Ghost :( but speaking of what to Photograph now .... how about one last picture of it posted up here? PLEASE.

:cool:

Are you gonna still hang out around here?
Planning to get some multitrack stuff again
when things get better?

Yes, I've stated in other threads that I have no plans to abandon coming here and to continue offering up my advice and opinions where I feel they are needed.

Should things turn around for me in the future, financially, I would like to rebuild some semblance of a working set up if no other reason then to be able to play and/or remix my previous recordings of which I have held onto all of my original tapes. As for writing new songs at this point, I am sad to say I've not had any great inspiration to do so again. But who knows what the future may hold?

Yes, I've stated in other threads that I have no plans to abandon coming here and to continue offering up my advice and opinions where I feel they are needed.

Should things turn around for me in the future, financially, I would like to rebuild some semblance of a working set up if no other reason then to be able to play and/or remix my previous recordings of which I have held onto all of my original tapes. As for writing new songs at this point, I am sad to say I've not had any great inspiration to do so again. But who knows what the future may hold?

I'd definitely like to hear some your material.
Do you have some stuff that was recorded on your old MS-16?
That's good that you held onto your old Tapes.

I'd definitely like to hear some your material.
Do you have some stuff that was recorded on your old MS-16?
That's good that you held onto your old Tapes.
I'd love to be able to share those recording with you but the majority of them were done in collaboration with a former band member who I am no longer on speaking terms with.

He was always very protective of his material and thought so highly of it that he was sure it would only be stolen by other musicians if freely posted on the web. I agreed with him that it is good to be careful but to be that paranoid about it that you never let anyone other then top record company A&R people hear it, is a bit much!

Sorry. :o

Tell you what, I'll do a new photo or two of the M-23 2-track. I got some new bulbs, so all the lights work. This time, I"ll also do one with the machine in record mode, with all the bright red lights going. It's rather nice to look at... sounds pretty good, too.

Sorry about the MS16, though.

Cheers,

Otto
Sorry I missed your post, Otto!

Didn't see it till just now!

Anyway, yes! Take some fresh shots and send them my way! :) I'd love to add them to the wallpaper thread! :drunk:

Back