Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My MS16 is gone.

Thanks

My MS16 is gone.

Sign in to disable this ad
    It took close to a year to sell it but today it finally went.

It ended up going to the guy who wants to run it with GP9 like his other MS16 is set up to and will most likely be using mine as a parts deck as his heads on his original machine are wearing down.

I'm kind of sad to see it go but know it was of no real use to me any longer so I guess its for the best.

Cheers!

Thanks
    A parts deck? WOW, I thought it was in almost perfect shape with the exception of a few minor glitches. I'm happy you got the money anyway. Was that the last of the recording equipment?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgeaspen View Post
    A parts deck? WOW, I thought it was in almost perfect shape with the exception of a few minor glitches. I'm happy you got the money anyway. Was that the last of the recording equipment?
    It was in very good shape after I got the heads re-lapped and had a number of intermittent channels repaired back in 2006. Trouble is, it sat unused for 4 years after that and when I went to test it out yesterday to make sure everything was still good, a number of channels were acting up all over again, needing to be re-seated in order to work. I informed the buyer about this but it didn't deter him from buying it as he knows stuff like that will happen when a deck just sits there unused for a long period of time. He was a bit dejected to learn that but I thought it best to be straight with him as he seemed like a good guy and I would have felt like a scumbag if I kept my mouth shut...so I'm glad I tested it and told him about it.

Oh, and yes, that was the last of the multi track gear to sell off. I still have the CD recorder, my guitar and one keyboard left but if they don't sell it won't be a big deal as they don't take up much space.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Wowww, Jeff...gone.

Congrats. I know this has been a burden. I bet firing it up and having glitchy things elicited mixed emotions (and strong ones at that...feaking out that it would break the deal and yet a renewed urgency to get it moved out)?

Ahhhhh. Movin' on.

Thanks
    Sad to see it go... I know where you are. I got my MS-16 calibrated up and put it in the local craigslist. One card had a broken bias pot so the channel was dead. A quick pull from the spare cards brought it back online. Still, as I was getting it ready to list I was thinking about how to keep it. I had to argue with myself that I don't need 16 channels, don't have the room and could us the cash. Hopefully it will not take a year.

My heart is with you in this.

--Ethan
    In Sunny Vancouver ..... (Washington)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Wowww, Jeff...gone.

Congrats. I know this has been a burden. I bet firing it up and having glitchy things elicited mixed emotions (and strong ones at that...feaking out that it would break the deal and yet a renewed urgency to get it moved out)?

Ahhhhh. Movin' on.
    Yeah, I thought it would be a deal killer for sure and tossed and turned all night last night before the buyer came over today to buy it. I was furious at the technician who charged me so much money to supposedly fix these issues and knew that bitching about it to him 4 years after the fact would be an exercise in futility. Amazingly though, I did manage to get a 1khz tone recorded onto all 16 channels and then get all 16 channels to play back the tone off of both heads. So maybe all it needed was a bit of "exercise" to get the cobwebs out of it? It does bring the phrase to mind; "use it or lose it".

Anyway, the buyer seemed comfortable about dealing with the issue and possibly needing to get it looked at again by the same technician, as he and I both used the same guy for maintenance. I truly hope things go well for him with it and as he is a daily, active recordist, I'm sure he'll get it going properly.

All that said, I've felt really empty inside with it now gone. What will I photograph now?

Anyway, life goes on.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
    Sad to see it go... I know where you are. I got my MS-16 calibrated up and put it in the local craigslist. One card had a broken bias pot so the channel was dead. A quick pull from the spare cards brought it back online. Still, as I was getting it ready to list I was thinking about how to keep it. I had to argue with myself that I don't need 16 channels, don't have the room and could us the cash. Hopefully it will not take a year.

My heart is with you in this.

--Ethan
    Best of luck finding a buyer for yours quicker then me. The current economy is not the best one for finding musicians with money, as I spoke with dozens of them during the past year who all wanted the machine but who were all universally broke.

Cheers!

Thanks
    It sounds real bittersweet, Ghost.

I hope we still see you around here!

-MD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themaddog View Post
    It sounds real bittersweet, Ghost.

I hope we still see you around here!

-MD
    For sure!

I still hold a strong love for the gear and consider the community here to be part of my extended family!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of FM View Post
    All that said, I've felt really empty inside with it now gone. What will I photograph now?

Anyway, life goes on.

Cheers!
    Tell you what, I'll do a new photo or two of the M-23 2-track. I got some new bulbs, so all the lights work. This time, I"ll also do one with the machine in record mode, with all the bright red lights going. It's rather nice to look at... sounds pretty good, too.

Sorry about the MS16, though.

Cheers,

Otto

Thread Information