my Fostex Model 80: track one won't record?

Jud_Vandy

Hi,
I've recently begun using a Fostex Model 80. I currently have just one tape reel (an ampex 456) so I can only assume at the moment that the problem is with the machine and not the tape.
I get a good, clear signal through track one when monitoring, and the level meters work fine but when I press play, after recording, it seems the tape has not been recorded onto. Tracks 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 all work fine and give a good, clear signal when monitoring and playing back (I haven't had the need to record 7 + 8 yet).
Track one was working recently, I transferred a kick and a snare onto tracks one and two, but that kick is now playing back slightly muffled.
I cleaned the machine thoroughly today, going over all of the parts mentioned in the owners manual with the correct alcohol and cotton buds, but this hasn't solved the problem.
Could it be that:
  1. Track one (or the whole machine) needs to be aligned?
  2. The machine needs de-magnetizing?
  3. I have somehow damaged the tape, and track one has been partially/fully erased?
  4. Something else?
I haven't yet aqquired a demagnetizer or an alignment tape so I can't just try this out right now. I shall aquire them unless I get a response explaining how track one is just plain broken. I have a batch of new, un-opened Quantegy 456 tape in the post, but I think it's probably wise to sort this problem out before I start using it.
I'd very much appreciate any advice/answers.

Until you demag and clean the heads you won't know anything - and get another tape, since most 456 has the sticky shed problem. I'd bet a dollar that is the problem.

AK

thanks for your reply! I'll bear the sticky shed problem in mind. I've cleaned the heads.
Will a fairly cheap demagnetiser ($14/$24) do the job? there's a few on ebay...

Last edited:
Turn the tape around so that tracks 1 & 8 are switched and record the same thing at a blank section of those tracks. If the problem occurs on the new track 1 (top of the tape) - your machine needs to be looked at. If it occurs on the new track 8 (bottom of the tape) - blame the tape.

Thanks! I will try that later! I'm hoping it's the tape...
Any other suggestions?

Whenever you demag your deck - UNPLUG IT so it cannot be powered on accidentally during the procedure. Deck on + demag = death to the deck. No fooling.

Turn the tape around so that tracks 1 & 8 are switched and record the same thing at a blank section of those tracks. If the problem occurs on the new track 1 (top of the tape) - your machine needs to be looked at. If it occurs on the new track 8 (bottom of the tape) - blame the tape.

I was just thinking of this. I have a Fostex R8 and it came with a bunch of sticky shed Ampex 457 tape (457 is recommended for the 80 as well, it's thinner). The previous owned hadn't taken good care of the machine and the rollers were warping the far side of the tape where track one is. It still recorded, just not very well.

Hi RRuskin.. I tried turning the tape around and that didn't work so the problem is definetely the machine.
Thanks for the advice on de-magnetizers Sweetbeats!
It's been duly noted. :)

Any more advice, knowledge or information is very muchly apprecitated. :)

Back