Musicians Wanted!

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Ok, you may not get this question on the board often so bear with me please ;) . I'm looking for someone who would be willing to record a basic 1 instrumental track for me of some of my favorite songs. (I'd of course compensate you either via PayPal or Money Order). I'm pretty much a singer with no skill (yet) at playing any instrument, other than voice ;) . There are a number of songs, that have a full instrumental backing with main vocal, that I'd like to put my voice to. My thought is to have a very simple, unprocessed, one instrument backing of a particular song. I have the chords for these songs (pretty simple) and also the original song example of how the track should move in tempo etc etc ... Now, what is crucial is that the track is recorded to Analog and have natural dynamics. As a minimum, I'd want it recorded on a vintage cassette portastudio like the TASCAM 244, 234 or 246. Minimum. If anyone has a basic Reel to Reel recorder then that's good too! :) . What's also important is that no compression and no reverb and absolutely no sound is processed. Just basic tracking. There is really no need to "splice" or "punch in" or anything like that. There is no need to do dozens of takes to "get it right". I want it to sound as "natural" as possible in everyway. If you're recording in your bedroom or basement then that's great! Now, my mic of choice for voice is an sm57 so I think you should use an sm57 as well. My idea is to do all of this via the web. I can email you the original song, the chords and you can do your magic. If you agree, then you may send me a very quick 30 sec sample of what I can expect. Then, if I wish to proceed, I'd send you a PayPal payment or whatever to compensate you. We'd discuss the particulars and how much $$ before anything happens. Again, I'm looking for a quick, natural 1 instrument track to put my voice to. Ok, sure, I might also ask you to transpose to a lower key for me but that's pretty much it for "customizing". Oh, and the instruments we're talking about are either a piano or acoustic guitar or electric guitar, depending on the material. But no matter what it is, I'd insist on ONLY REAL instruments and none of that "fake" stuff ;) . Anyway, when you have your money, you'd burn the track to cd, put it in you pc, encode it to 320 bitrate mp3 (for max quality) and either email it to me or put it up so that I may download it. If I like your work, we can work on others. If anyone is interested please email me at:

sivlee@yahoo.com

Thanks for considering,

Daniel

PS: Please note that these tracks would be for my own use ONLY

BillyFurnett said:
Any takers yet Dan?

:)

Yeah! So many I had to buy extra space at yahoo!!! Naaa .. just kidding with ya! :D ;) . Honestly, I've had one person reply and we're still talkin' ... Hell, I don't know why more persons didn't respond :confused:

Billy ... ya wanna record somethin' for me ;)

Daniel

Dan the way I play your career in music would go backwards! LOL

Seriously, I'm not that good at guitar (OR recording) so unless you wanted a pretty bunk version I'd run from me if I were you.
Oh yeah...I'd never want to jam like that for money you know?

What kind of songs are they?

BillyFurnett said:
Dan the way I play your career in music would go backwards! LOL

Seriously, I'm not that good at guitar (OR recording) so unless you wanted a pretty bunk version I'd run from me if I were you.

What kind of songs are they?

LOL! Naa .. you can't be that bad! :o ;) . Yeah, so the songs are pretty much Elvis (as in "The King" ;) ) covers of some of his 50's stuff to the 70's. Some are lesser known and some are stuff Elvis "covered" himself like Danny Boy etc ... So some are Elvis and some are different ones like Green Green Grass of Home, Don't, Is it so strange, Old Shep, I believe etc ... Very simple ones I wanna do my own "thang" with .. You know, not copy 100% but do pure acoustic versions of these like with a guitar or pure piano etc ... Damn shame I can't play these instruments, yet, but I'll be working on guitar soon I hope. For now I have a fellow musician, Collin, who I'm in talks with about producing these. I hope somethin' good comes of it ..

Daniel

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with The King... His gosple stuff is awesome too! Everything he did rocked!

Hang in there and you'll find someone that REALLY knows his stuff and maybe even is looking to do just such a project.

Cool Deal

BillyFurnett said:
You can't go wrong with The King... His gosple stuff is awesome too! Everything he did rocked!

Hang in there and you'll find someone that REALLY knows his stuff and maybe even is looking to do just such a project.

Cool Deal

HEY! I met an ELVIS FAN!!! Cool!!! :D Yeah, I greatly like his gospel numbers too but he was good at any style he did. You're right! :)

Thank you for the kind words my friend,

Daniel

Re: Re: Musicians Wanted!

Blue Bear Sound said:
I don't understand this part at all...!

What I meant and assumed, with perhaps some ignorance as to proper ways of recording, is that if I use an sm57 for voice, that it'd be perhaps important that the piano, guitar or whatever be recorded with an sm57 as well - just like you'd give the whole song the same kind of reverb for it to "belong". Am I nuts ?

Daniel

Re: Re: Re: Musicians Wanted!

cjacek said:
What I meant and assumed, with perhaps some ignorance as to proper ways of recording, is that if I use an sm57 for voice, that it'd be perhaps important that the piano, guitar or whatever be recorded with an sm57 as well - just like you'd give the whole song the same kind of reverb for it to "belong". Am I nuts ?

Daniel
No - not nuts... but the assumption is wrong. The idea is to use whatever signal chain is most appropriate to properly capture the sound source for the context of the song.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Musicians Wanted!

Blue Bear Sound said:
No - not nuts... but the assumption is wrong. The idea is to use whatever signal chain is most appropriate to properly capture the sound source for the context of the song.

Would the sm57 be "inappropriate" for piano, for example ?

Daniel

Boy... I'd be tickled pink to do some session work. Unfortunately I don't meet any of your criteria (I don't record analog, I don't use a SM57, I may not be able to provide the results quickly, etc.), but I'd love to collaborate with other folks (and especially with musical styles that I am not fluent in).

Personally, I woudn't want any monetary compensation (although I wouldn't refuse a copy of the final product), the gain (for me) would be the experience involved.

If you don't get any takers, shoot me an email at...

fccb@migliosoft.com

Best regards,
Miglio

Hey cjacek. Are you familiar with Kareoke(is that how you spell it?) Anyway, theres millions of tunes with various instrumental backgrounds that you can buy at music stores. Real instruments too. This might be an option. But sounds like thats not what your interested in, and it was just a thought.
Or, if you would like, I'll give it a shot. Sounds like you are sincere. So am I. . I've played guitar for 35 years. Backed up gazillions of solo singers. Many styles. Electric, or acoustic. I don't care.
And a 57' will be fine, so don't let the bears intimidate you. They forgot what park they are in:D By the way, did he offer to join you? I didn't think so. Anyway, PM me if your interested. Oh, no compensation required. Only fun.
fitZ:)

Dan,

You COULD use a 57 on a piano because it IS an instrument mic, BUT there would be better mics (Condensors likely) that one would use. IMO its really good that you put things like your mic assumption out on the table where people like Blue Bear can catch them (I didn't even notice that part, but I admit I skimmed...Busted!) so that you can learn more and more you know? (I do it all the time myself and have learned not tons, but tons for me that way.)
Generally (Not exclusivly) a 57 would go on a snare, or maybe on a guitar cabinet or I've seen them on acoustic guitar's in live situations.

Last edited:
Signal chain? Shit, who you talking to bear? Simple vocal and guitar. 57 works fine. If he wanted a pro studio, he woudn't be asking here. Geeesus.:rolleyes:
I thought you had insight.
fitZ

miglio said:
Boy... I'd be tickled pink to do some session work. Unfortunately I don't meet any of your criteria (I don't record analog, I don't use a SM57, I may not be able to provide the results quickly, etc.), but I'd love to collaborate with other folks (and especially with musical styles that I am not fluent in).

Personally, I woudn't want any monetary compensation (although I wouldn't refuse a copy of the final product), the gain (for me) would be the experience involved.

If you don't get any takers, shoot me an email at...

fccb@migliosoft.com

Best regards,
Miglio

I'll definitely keep you in mind. Thanks :)

Daniel

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Hey cjacek. Are you familiar with Kareoke(is that how you spell it?) Anyway, theres millions of tunes with various instrumental backgrounds that you can buy at music stores. Real instruments too. This might be an option. But sounds like thats not what your interested in, and it was just a thought.
Or, if you would like, I'll give it a shot. Sounds like you are sincere. So am I. . I've played guitar for 35 years. Backed up gazillions of solo singers. Many styles. Electric, or acoustic. I don't care.
And a 57' will be fine, so don't let the bears intimidate you. They forgot what park they are in:D By the way, did he offer to join you? I didn't think so. Anyway, PM me if your interested. Oh, no compensation required. Only fun.
fitZ:)

Hi Rick!

Thanks for your reply :) . Yes, I am definitely sincere. To show you how ... I have a TASCAM 244 that I picked up mint and also a NEW-IN-BOX TASCAM 34B that I just recently won on eBay! :D . I had immense help from our friend Dave (A Reel Person)!!! All in all I'm a serious lover of Analog gear and recording in general. Only place am crippled at is that I do not play any instrument and thus this original post.

You're right that I'm not really interested in the whole "karaoke" scene. I explored the karaoke "backing tapes" for a while but have long since dismissed the idea for the following reasons:

1. Recorded in digital - not my cup of java
2. Compressed (and overcompressed) - hate it
3. Have reverb added - a no no ..
4. Instruments used (for the most part) are "fake" and have no life to 'em
5. Sounds as if were recorded in a studio - not the sound I want
6. Arrangement copies the original - not what I want
7. In most cases not well recorded having too much of certain frequencies etc ...
8. Don't want to be associated with the image of an "impersinator"

There are a couple of others perhaps that I forgot to mention but basically the sound I wanna get is a very simple recording. Picture you with a guitar (or piano) in your bedroom playing a "cover" version of your fav song and singing. A bedroom, a mic, an instrument and a tape recorder. That's it. This way, you can still do a cover song BUT it's all yours, sounds natural and you're taken seriously ;)

Thanks SO much for the offer Rick! I'll definitely take you up on it and will PM you a bit later (a few days max) 'cause I gotta think of a song that would lend itself well to a guitar treatment. I'd be thrilled to work with you on this and later post the result with full credit to your backing and my voice.

Thanks again my friend!

Daniel

Last edited:
BillyFurnett said:
Dan,

You COULD use a 57 on a piano because it IS an instrument mic, BUT there would be better mics (Condensors likely) that one would use. IMO its really good that you put things like your mic assumption out on the table where people like Blue Bear can catch them (I didn't even notice that part, but I admit I skimmed...Busted!) so that you can learn more and more you know? (I do it all the time myself and have learned not tons, but tons for me that way.)
Generally (Not exclusivly) a 57 would go on a snare, or maybe on a guitar cabinet or I've seen them on acoustic guitar's in live situations.

Ok, thanks Billy!

Daniel

Back