More Newb Questions about Tascam MSR-16: Rewind Slows and Eventually Stops

Brother Rob

I am loading a Full Reel that is wound "Tail Out" to an empty Reel. I believe that the tape is threaded correctly. I mounted it on the right hand side and am I am "rewinding" it to an empty reel.

When it started rewinding onto the empty reel, it was very fast. As it progressed, it began to slow. Until it was about 3/4 of the way done and it just slowed to a complete stop. Fast Forward works fine. If I power down the machine and turn it back on, the Rewind will work slowly but eventually slow to a stop again.

Last edited:
OK. Here is an update.

I put all of the tape back onto the original reel (Tail Out). Just to clarify: This reel is full and mounted on the right hand side and I am attempting to "Rewind" it to load it on a new empty reel with the Head out. So I just Fast Forwarded it and it went good and fast to the end. Then I switched positions of the reels. I put the full Tails Out reel on the Left and the empty Reel on the right side to take up. I then threaded the tape again and hit Fast Forward again. It went good and fast, up to about the same point where it was slowing down during Rewind. Again (now during FFWD) It slowed down and eventually stopped. I am guessing that there is something wrong with how the tape is wound on the Tails Out Reel or perhaps the reel itself is faulty.

Check the heads/tape guides....if they have a lot of gunk and a sticky residue...it's the tape.
Just grab a Q-Tip and some alcohol and give them a wipe...you will see right away what is on the heads/guides.

Sometimes you get a squeeling sound, and that's always a tell-tale sign of bad tape...but you may not, and the tape just slows down because the gunk/sticky shed is acting like a break.

Check the heads/tape guides....if they have a lot of gunk and a sticky residue...it's the tape.
Just grab a Q-Tip and some alcohol and give them a wipe...you will see right away what is on the heads/guides.

Sometimes you get a squeeling sound, and that's always a tell-tale sign of bad tape...but you may not, and the tape just slows down because the gunk/sticky shed is acting like a break.

Yeah. There was a bunch of gunk on the guides and heads. I cleaned it off and the rest of the reel ran just fine on Fast Forward. Then I checked the heads and guides again and there was already a good layer of gunk. After about 1/4 of a reel! I had no idea that the gunk would build that quickly even with bad tape.

I'm guessing I have Bad/Old tape and I should just toss it out and order some fresh tape.

Thanks so much for the insight.

No doubt bad tape with Sticky-Shed Syndrome. Perhaps one the top 3 most important things people need to know about analog, because if you have no tape, you have no analog, and there is a lot of bad tape out there. Check the Sticky Shed Tape Thread at the top of this forum for tapes to avoid. There are also sellers on eBay that are now claiming their tapes do not have Sticky Shed, but they either don't understand or they are bold face lying. I see both types of sellers on eBay. Be careful out there!

Hint:

- Don't by any Ampex backcoated tape such as 406 and 456 made before 1995.
- Don't buy any 3M/Scotch 226 at all
- Don't by AGFA PEM 469 at all

- All Quantegy branded 456 is good
- All 3M/Scotch 206 and 207 is good
- All AGFA, BASF and EMTEC SM 468 is good
- All BASF and EMTEC SM 911 is good

Hope that helps

Back