Modular rack?

Mo-Kay

Dragon Soul Productions
Hey everybody....

as I'm ordering my mac/protools setup...
I still venture deeper and deeper into the wonderful world of analog ;)

Ok here's my question....I've seen these wonderfull modules floating around, stuff like preamps, EQs, etc... like this:

neve_acou_aux_front450.jpg

I know they are supposed to go in a rack or a modular console...with outputs and a PSU...

My question is: can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this subject... I wanna know how to do that kinda stuff myself. Make a rack for these modules I mean.

So any advice on books, sites etc is very, very welcome...

School this 23 old green kid :D

These kind of preamps where all in mixers in their day that where used with real recorders, The analog type. There was no reason to strip a good mixer till the onset of Digital recording with everyone trying to find a way to make a digital recorder sound worth a shit. (they are still trying)
Those of us FREAKS, People that like quality use mixers and dont need to rip up good mixers or know how to rip up good mixers to get a good sound.
We already have that. so what your are asking is something we could care less about.
You may be better served by going to a digital forum and ask the people how they are trying to keep their pro tool rigs from sounding like shit.
I hope this helps.

If you're buying, for example, a new Neve 1073, 1081 reissue type thing, you can buy the rack/power supply at that time. 2-unit and 4-unit spaces are common.

Same thing applies to most all other manufacturers.

If you're buying modules used and they don't come with the racking, you can get what you need direct from the module manufacturers (sometimes) and alternatively, there are also places like vintageking that make custom rack/pwr supplies for different brands of preamps/eqs/compressors etc.

You'd probably get faster answers on this subject from PSW, Gearslutz, or the various Protools forums.

I once saw an API Lunchbox. Basically a power supply/case for up to 8 modules like that............interesting.

yeah they sell something over at www.atlasproaudio.com that might help you. I have not delved into this realm so I don't really know if they are all interchangeable or what. they definitely are cheaper than the rack-mounted counterparts. I see tons of these things on ebay and thought "wouldn't it be cool to have a mixer with all these different preamps in it". I've also thought I should just drop the 20 grand for a neve console and a 2" and just get it overwith. but apparently a lot of engineering skills are involved in maintaining a console like that and I dont have the slightest. if you find out, please let me know. I'm always interested in learning something new, especially when we're talking about primo gear.

Whatever? Come on Mo-kay You can do better than that :D
I just love giving you digital boys some shit.

no...just whatever, cause you talk outta your neck

How am I a digital boy....cause I happen to own a computer?
I own analog keyboards and a 24 ch. Studiomaster too... should I be having an identity crisis?

My friend, I am FAR from a "digital boy"... I like computers a LOT less than my peers...and believe me...being a music-student...I know.

So...whatever. Now go on and help me, you sad bastard :D

Just so you know, the picture of the module you are linking to is not going to be very usefull for anything. It's a Neve Aux section module. It's not a preamp or EQ. Looks like an Aux module from a Neve 8058/68.

The picture is just for illustration purposes... I DO mean pre-amps, EQs...etc. Do YOU know something that could help me out a bit? :)

Mo-Kay said:
The picture is just for illustration purposes... I DO mean pre-amps, EQs...etc. Do YOU know something that could help me out a bit? :)

OK, good. I didn't want you to waste your money. You say you're looking to rack the pre's up yourself. Unfortunately I don't really know the first thing about that. I just use the stuff. I did notice that the company that is selling these modules will rack them for you.

So, are you looking to buy racks for these modules or tips on constructing racks? I've made a few cases in my day, but mostly for travelling shows and my own remote recording.

Back