mixing board with my tascam porta02 mkii

weevus

Hello.........New member here. I have a crate 8 channel mixing board hooked up to my tascam porta 02 cassette studio and I have things tuned in pretty well but just cant get it quite sounding right. When I mix it all down and then transfer the mixed tape to another cassette recorder for the finished product,it just sounds kinda dull and not real clear.Any suggestions or tips on what to do as far as settings or anything? Thanks......Weevus.:):confused:

The porta02 has very poor specs and on top of that, when you mix-down to yet another cassette recorder, your signal degrades even further.

You could try a couple of things like boosting around 10khz on your mixer when recording to your porta but other than that, I'd personally mix-down straight to computer, if you have a decent sound-card, which will retain more of your original signal.

Also, a barely visible spec of dust / oxide on the heads will dramatically reduce high frequency on your recordings / playback, so make sure you clean the heads often.

And demagnetize...if you've never done it, or if it has been a long time, HF degradation is a prime calling card of magnetized heads...

Back