Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mixers for reels (pun)

Thanks

mixers for reels (pun)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Wow I'm not funny...
    Anyways, I'm looking for a mixer with the ability to switch the eq between like a play back and record mode through the insert, or whatever that might be. I have an 8 track reel to reel, and soon to have a 16 (maybe). What I'm doing with my 8 track one is just taking all the tracks off the inserts of a cheap yamaha board, which works fine but the eq is all pre insert, so i can't tweak the eq on playback. So i guess I'm looking for something where you can switch the eq between pre and post insert (Record, and playback), either with 16, or 8 channels. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Or tell me even if I have the right idea on what I should be doing.
    Cheers! <3
    Last edited by Ally In Stereo; 10-25-2010 at 12:01.

Thanks
    Well, you are looking for a feature that is rare and typically only found on boutique gear. It is more common to be able to switch the EQ patch point via jumpers internally but that involves opening the board up. There is another option presented on Some of the older Tascam mixers that have multiple jack access points to pick up pre and post EQ.

Can you explain a little more clearly what you are trying to accomplish? Explain your setup and process?

Beck Guest
    You just need a mixer with tape inputs in addition to mic/line inputs. There are so many it's hard to make a list... at least a list that would be meaningful as to features and preference. I’m guessing your reel-to-reel uses -10 line level with either ¼” or RCA jacks… but I better not guess that part or the list will be all wrong.

Let us know what kind of 8-track you have and we can recommend some favorites.

Thanks
    Right now I have a Fostex model 80. Super simple just, 8 rca in, 8 rca out, no gain control or anything. And i might be getting a Fostex E 16 soonish.

Thanks
    hmmm, I hope this isn't bad tact, but it kinda looks like my post was forgotten >_> So uh, bumpybumb.

Thanks
    Nope...read above. You have questions to answer.

Thanks
    To what beck asked me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ally In Stereo View Post
    Right now I have a Fostex model 80. Super simple just, 8 rca in, 8 rca out, no gain control or anything. And i might be getting a Fostex E 16 soonish.
    To what Sweetbeats asked me.
    What I'm doing with my 8 track one is just taking all the tracks off the inserts of a cheap yamaha board, which works fine but the eq is all pre insert, so i can't tweak the eq on playback. So i guess I'm looking for something where you can switch the eq between pre and post insert (Record, and playback), either with 16, or 8 channels.
    What else to I need to answer?
    Last edited by Ally In Stereo; 10-30-2010 at 13:47.

Thanks
    What else to I need to answer?
    I think the questions that are still open are "What are you trying to accomplish?" and "What is your [work] process?"

The way I do what you're describing is simple - I use two mixers. A small front-end 8-channel mixer for setting the insert eq, effects etc and sub-mixing when I'm using multiple instruments - I record the output of that mixer into the deck.
    Then I also have a 16-channel mixer for playback. Does that help any?

Thanks
    Right, that's exactly what I was doing, but I'm trying to move towards just haveing ONE mixer. Again, right now what I'm doing is just taking all the inserts on the mixer into the channels of the reel. The only issue is, I can't mod the eq or anything on playback. Beck said something about tape in's on each channel, which is something that's kinda foreign to me. (yep, I'm a pretty big noob). I was also asked to say what multitrack i was using, which is what I did.

Thanks
    The TASCAM M-3500 board has the FLIP switch...which flips the Tape return section/faders with the main channels/faders, and that includes the EQ.

So...during recording, your mic pres and line inputs can have EQ...and during playback you just hit the flip and now the Tape Returns have the EQ.

Of course...even with this feature, I never bother with the Tape Return section of the 3500...I simply change the connections on my patchbay to achievewhat you are asking....and that's something you can do with any mixer, no need for a "Flip" switch or extra Tape Return section.

It takes about 15 seconds to re-patch the patchbay....

Thread Information