mixers for reels (pun)

Ally In Stereo

Wow I'm not funny...
Anyways, I'm looking for a mixer with the ability to switch the eq between like a play back and record mode through the insert, or whatever that might be. I have an 8 track reel to reel, and soon to have a 16 (maybe). What I'm doing with my 8 track one is just taking all the tracks off the inserts of a cheap yamaha board, which works fine but the eq is all pre insert, so i can't tweak the eq on playback. So i guess I'm looking for something where you can switch the eq between pre and post insert (Record, and playback), either with 16, or 8 channels. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Or tell me even if I have the right idea on what I should be doing.
Cheers! <3

Last edited:
Well, you are looking for a feature that is rare and typically only found on boutique gear. It is more common to be able to switch the EQ patch point via jumpers internally but that involves opening the board up. There is another option presented on Some of the older Tascam mixers that have multiple jack access points to pick up pre and post EQ.

Can you explain a little more clearly what you are trying to accomplish? Explain your setup and process?

You just need a mixer with tape inputs in addition to mic/line inputs. There are so many it's hard to make a list... at least a list that would be meaningful as to features and preference. I’m guessing your reel-to-reel uses -10 line level with either ¼” or RCA jacks… but I better not guess that part or the list will be all wrong. ;)

Let us know what kind of 8-track you have and we can recommend some favorites. :)

Right now I have a Fostex model 80. Super simple just, 8 rca in, 8 rca out, no gain control or anything. And i might be getting a Fostex E 16 soonish.

To what beck asked me.
Right now I have a Fostex model 80. Super simple just, 8 rca in, 8 rca out, no gain control or anything. And i might be getting a Fostex E 16 soonish.

To what Sweetbeats asked me.
What I'm doing with my 8 track one is just taking all the tracks off the inserts of a cheap yamaha board, which works fine but the eq is all pre insert, so i can't tweak the eq on playback. So i guess I'm looking for something where you can switch the eq between pre and post insert (Record, and playback), either with 16, or 8 channels.

What else to I need to answer? :confused:

Last edited:
What else to I need to answer? :confused:

I think the questions that are still open are "What are you trying to accomplish?" and "What is your [work] process?"

The way I do what you're describing is simple - I use two mixers. A small front-end 8-channel mixer for setting the insert eq, effects etc and sub-mixing when I'm using multiple instruments - I record the output of that mixer into the deck.
Then I also have a 16-channel mixer for playback. Does that help any?

Right, that's exactly what I was doing, but I'm trying to move towards just haveing ONE mixer. Again, right now what I'm doing is just taking all the inserts on the mixer into the channels of the reel. The only issue is, I can't mod the eq or anything on playback. Beck said something about tape in's on each channel, which is something that's kinda foreign to me. (yep, I'm a pretty big noob). I was also asked to say what multitrack i was using, which is what I did.

The TASCAM M-3500 board has the FLIP switch...which flips the Tape return section/faders with the main channels/faders, and that includes the EQ.

So...during recording, your mic pres and line inputs can have EQ...and during playback you just hit the flip and now the Tape Returns have the EQ.

Of course...even with this feature, I never bother with the Tape Return section of the 3500...I simply change the connections on my patchbay to achievewhat you are asking....and that's something you can do with any mixer, no need for a "Flip" switch or extra Tape Return section.

It takes about 15 seconds to re-patch the patchbay....

Ally, what model of mixer are you using? Since mixers vary wildly in their layout, it would help to know what features you have to work with.

One thing I've always liked about Fostex is they were pretty good about matching open-reel decks to mixing consoles... often releasing them together. There are tons of great mixers out there, but if you want to stay with Fostex look for these Fostex boards:

Model 450-16
Model 2412

If you're already looking at going with an E-16 you'll want a 450-16 at least. And even if you'll be sticking with 8 tracks the extra channels come in handy.
Generally speaking it's a good idea to get a mixer with more channels than you have tracks, so something like the 2412 would be better for a 16-track deck.

There are tons of great mixers out there from Soundcraft, Tascam Mackie, Studiomaster, etc. The most important things to look for with your decks are -10 line level (either RCA or 1/4" jacks), tape inputs to accommodate all the channels and preferably at least 8 busses if you're going with the E-16. If you stay with the Model 80 a 4-buss mixer is fine.

I think pretty much any inline mixer will do it. Try out a Tascam M308 series or higher. You can cascade 2 of them when you go to 16 tracks.

Danny

Last edited:
briank,
I'm using a very simple yamaha mg16-4. I've read the manual at-least twice now, I know the ins and outs of it pretty well now, and theres no return eq functions, and not enough aux sends and groups etc, to be able to record all eight tracks at once.

beck,
with my model 80 came the model 450 mixer. Though it didn't work a bit. The pots where scratchy and channel 6 was totally shot so, I guess I might be looking for something that is still made new. Not because I fetish new shiny stuff, I'm all about retro gear, but I work at a guitar shop and I can get new pa equipment really cheap ;) Also I don't want to shift through more busted mixers. You mentioned something mackie made? Or is still making?

Sorry for the ongoing line of question upon answers. I really appreciate all the help :)

Ohhhhkay...I wasn't trying to be flippant so I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Knowing what board you have explains a lot. Best thing for you to avoid a headache is to get something different. I like Yamaha gear and the MG16/4 is a fine board but from a feature standpoint it is limited to what you are wanting to do...which you already know.

Oh no, it's totally fine, no worries, I didn't get that vibe at all, I was just confused as to what I wasn't answering.

Yeah the mg 164 is a nice board. For now I've gone back to patch baying. I think I'll stick with this for now. I'm just going to be getting a nicer deck soon so I wanted to know a mixer i could get for my Fostex 80, for like, doing some demo sessions or something on 1/4" tape, because it's so much cheaper. Maybe I'll bring my Fostex 450 into the shop see what they can do. I've got my eye on a local Otari MX-5050 MKIII, for a new deck! Gonna take a peak at it next week sometime. : D

But yeah, I'd still like to know some new boards that are maybe more available/ still made and can rival, or at least function like the 450, 450-16, or the 2412. And preferably under 500ish dollars. But I think that might be too tall of an order.

Yeah, it does look like your hands are kinda tied with that very basic mixer but glad you're making it work.

My opinion would be that buying a brand new mixer for this kind of app isn't a great use of your money, especially at that budget. It's a buyer's market for used mixers of all kinds and especially ones that were used in the era of the Fostex/Tascam/Otari tape decks are quite out of favor now, just make sure they're in OK shape--most any you look at will have a few niggles but should still be usable--my Tascam came out of a church in Chicago and didn't need much to get it back in action) New mixers aren't geared for what you're doing, especially with a tape machine much less one operating at -10...most new mixers, and any of them at the $500 pricepoint are going to be basic live sound reinforcement mixers like your Yamaha or DAW front-ends and not have studio/recording routing like you want anyway...also don't assume new mixers won't develop things like scratchy pots and switches, especially with the Chinese parts most of them are made with now! My 3 year old Soundcraft FX16ii get a scratchy pot here and there more than my 20-ish year old Tascam M-3700! (and the Soundcraft cost me a little more to buy too!) Nice clean sound and simple layout for live sound but I'd be using the Tascam if I had your tape machine because it's made for recorders like that and has the operating level/input/monitoring/control room section for such things.

BTW I hope this isn't too spammy or overstepping my bounds, but thought I'd throw it out there that I have Studiomaster Mixdown Classic 8-buss console that I'd be willing to part with...I suspect it would be in the neighborhood of what you're interested in...but, oh drat, that's pretty spammy, pretend I didn't say anything! :D :spank: :o

Last edited:
beck,
with my model 80 came the model 450 mixer. Though it didn't work a bit. The pots where scratchy and channel 6 was totally shot so, I guess I might be looking for something that is still made new. Not because I fetish new shiny stuff, I'm all about retro gear, but I work at a guitar shop and I can get new pa equipment really cheap ;) Also I don't want to shift through more busted mixers. You mentioned something mackie made? Or is still making?

Yeah, it’s best to assume I mean a working mixer when I recommend something. :) One of the most important considerations is that the mixer is designed for recording or is at least “recording friendly” if it’s a live sound mixer. The further away we get from when analog tape was the norm, the less accommodating low-cost mixers will be for the tape-based studio. And God forbid you get a digital mixer…. Careful!!!

I use Tascam stuff. At this time my newest mixer is a 20-year-old M-216 that I bought new and modded quite heavily. Never had an issue with it… still works like new and even smells new. It’s always been in a studio and under a dust cover when not in use. There’s plenty of used crap out there that’s been roaded, beer spilled in it, etc. Shop wisely. It’s best to buy from an owner that knows the history of the gear.

Personally I won’t use anything made in China (well some exceptions, but not many), but if that’s not an issue your choices are many. I would rather refurb a vintage console than buy a newer Behringer, Alesis, Mackie made in China. The reason being a mid 80’s/early 90’s board is going to outlast a new made in China thingamajiggy and be easier to service. I’ve seen too many new budget boards go south right about the time the warranty runs out. :( It's true... they really don't make them like they used to.

The Studiomaster Mixdown Classic that briank has sounds perfect actually. I’ve always liked those… I can vouch for it as a decent board well suited for recording. Maybe you two can work out a good deal and… problem solved! If I didn’t have so many mixers I’d be interested in the Studiomaster myself.

:)

BTW I hope this isn't too spammy or overstepping my bounds, but thought I'd throw it out there that I have Studiomaster Mixdown Classic 8-buss console that I'd be willing to part with...I suspect it would be in the neighborhood of what you're interested in...but, oh drat, that's pretty spammy, pretend I didn't say anything! :D :spank: :o

Nah, not spammy at all under the circumstances. Could be quite helpful. ;)

Last edited:
the mixdown classic 8 is wayyyyy to big for what I'm doing, so does the tascam m216. But the reminds me of the m208... That has tape ins right? 4 busses.... hm.... But just out of curiosity, how much where you thinking for the classic 8 :o

sent you a PM-

Back