Mixer troubles with my Tascam 238

ben238

I have a fully functioning tascam 238 and with my current mixer I can't have audio coming in from the machine and being monitored on the machine without feedback. To "solve" this I have the outputs of the machine routed into the inputs on my mixer and then pan the mixer channels I want to record from to the left and route the left of the main mix to the inputs on the 238 I want to record on and pan the rest of the channels hard right. I also have to unplug the input coming from the 238 on my mixer for the channels I'm recording on to to avoid feedback. It's a hassle to keep plugging and unplugging like this. Am I using my mixer wrong (a Mackie DFX-12), or would I have to purchase a new mixer in order to avoid this issue (I'm looking at Tascam M-1508s but there isn't a single listing with a power supply, or maybe a Tascam M-208 but those are really expensive and usually in poor condition). Any mixer recommendations would be appreciated.

Trying to use the DFX-12 in an 8-track recording setup is a stretch no matter which you look at it, since it doesn’t have direct outs or any way to isolate tape reruns and monitor. Your feedback is likely coming from having the tape return open on the mixer (I’m assuming you have the tape outs connected to the line inputs on the mixer...) while the 238 is monitoring its inputs and there for the input signal is being output from the 238... back to the input of the Mackie...back to the 238...feedback. This happens when you record enable a track on the 238 but haven’t started recording, right? You have to be careful what is open on the mixer when you enable tracks. It is possible to use the Mackie, but yes it involves a lot of patching and re-patching.

A simple 16 track mixer such as a Mackie CR 16 will solve your problem
Channels 1 thru 8 feed the 238s inputs and channels 8 thru 16 handle the returns ( outputs)
So you are monitoring on channels 9 -16,
And you can keep all your 1-8 settings intact for overdubs, re recording etc.

Essentially you're running a 'split console'

Upon mixdown you have those first 8 channels available for other things.

So, if you want your life made easier, get another mixer.
:D

Thanks for the reply. I figured that was the source of the feedback, just wondering if I had overlooked some way of fixing this. Evidently not haha. I guess I'll just keep on patching until I can afford a new mixer.

Back