Mixer for tascam 38 that allows for monitoring off repro head

mr.blisset

I'm looking at different mixer options that allow me to monitor off the repro head so that I can set levels and hear what is happening in realtime (while the band monitor off the rec head).

Does anyone have any recommendations? As far as im aware, the tascam 308, 312 etc wont allow for this despite their routing flexibility as theres not enough channels to come back into the mixer from the 38.

Thanks!

The 38 only has 8 outputs, 1 for each tape track. Each output can have only 1 of 3 sources monitored at a time:

1. Input
2. Sync head playback
3. Record head playback

It doesn’t matter what mixer you have, you can’t simultaneously monitor the sync and repro outputs of a track. And why would you need to or want to do that anyway?

Are you wanting to monitor your console inputs and mix/set levels/etc. in real-time while the band overdubs to a cue mix from the 38?

Give me scenario for what you are trying to do. If it is similar to what I laid out in the last paragraph, the M-300 series is setup nicely for this, so I want to understand better what it is you are trying to accomplish.

This is a limitation of the recorder rather than the mixer - and even top flight professional recorders don't allow you to do this as it could end up very confusing. I also understand that Tascam use the same type of head for record and playback so you don't gain any extra quality by using the repro head.

Of course, if you are recording a band live then there's no problem with the engineer listening to the off tape signal while feeding the input signals back to the performers - any decent mixing desk should allow you to do this.

Thanks for the responses so far! Appreciated :) yeah when tracking a band live I want to listen off the tape while the feeding the input signal to the band. Can you give me a few options to look into?

First of all, just to make sure, are you aware there is no sonic benefit to monitoring off the repro head compared to the sync head? They are the same coil construction and performance.

While you chew on that, the M-300 series consoles are perfectly capable of managing at least 2 separate cue feeds for the talent while tracking, which can be monitored by the engineer. The engineer also has ready access to 8 tape returns (monitor whatever the tape machine is set to monitor whether its the input, sync or repro head), or any combination of the group outs, main buss, etc. The M-312 and M-320 consoles also feature two additional AUX busses on the groups which can be used to meet several different needs.

So, you said "I'm looking at different mixer options that allow me to monitor off the repro head so that I can set levels and hear what is happening in realtime (while the band monitor off the rec head)..."

The M-300 series can do this no problem.

Back