Mixer Advice

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
Hey all,
I'm asking here because in my opinion you guys have the best ears since you use analog.

I just bought a Tascam MSR-16 and need to get a mixer for it. My previous machine is a Tascam 388, and I really like the semi-parametric EQ on it. I want to get a board that is better, but I can't seem to find any 16 channels that have EQ as good or better than the 388 (just all broad based EQ). In addition, I want to see if I can get a board that has onboard effects since I don't have that many outboard effects, and what I would buy anyways would be cheap.

Another question I have concerns digital mixers. Are they all digital? Do they serve any purpose whatsoever in the realm of tape? Or should I just stick with analog? Motorized faders and onboard effects are alluring, but I want to go for the best sound.

Thanks for any and all help and advice,
-Pete

I can recommend an older Tascam board that is similar to the mixer on the 388. The M-320B would be a nice mate for the MSR-16. There are others, but that is one of my personal favorites.

I would stick with an analog board since you have gone to the trouble of acquiring an analog recorder. A digitally controlled board is an option as the signal path is still analog, but I would stay away from a board that converts your signal to digital track-by-track. I would leave the conversion stage to the overall mix.

Congrats on the MSR-16 score -- you won't be disappointed.

-Tim

Back