Midi Tape Synchronizer

robble

I would really like a midi tape synchronizer for my Tascam 488mkii. I've noticed the MTS-30's appear online very rarely and they're pretty expensive. Is there another model I can look for that will work for it? Or maybe a way to stripe from my computer with an interface or anything like that?

Secondly, Hoping I understand the concept completely. You record clock info to track 8, then on playback you plug a midi cable from the synchro to your synth/drummachine and it will be able to play to that clock info, right? All I have is the manual, and it's a little vague at times.

thanks!

That’s how it works. Something like a JL Cooper PPS-1 or PPS-100 is another affordable option...Fostex made one too among others. Can’t remember the model...

If you're in Europe or the UK, The Philip Rees TS-1 is another option. Your sequencer software (or hardware) needs to be able to chase MTC - not all software can do this, but assuming it can you should be golden.

I see a couple of Cooper units on ebay at the moment, actually - they're in Germany.

Looking at those models, notice they have 1/4 inch instead of rca. Is it the same way on the Tascam, one side in one side out? Just need an adapter.

I’m in the United States, if that changes anything
Potentially. The Cooper units all appear to run off an external 9v supply so that shouldn't matter too much. The Phil Rees units have internal, fixed-voltage supplies, i.e. mine is expecting 220-240V and will likely act up if given 110v instead.

As for the socket type, I would assume that the Cooper can cope with a -10 unbalanced signal from RCA, otherwise it would have problems interfacing with basically all the semi-pro multitracks on the market at the time it was made. It should be fine with an adaptor lead of some kind. The Rees has a trimmer to allow you to adjust the input and output levels, not sure about the Cooper.

xri-x25.jpg
I still have this one,... XRI XR25. I had no idea that people were still interested in these devices. If you can find one of these, I am realy happy with it. Runs always perfect. I can start/stop and fast forward Cubase with the tape machine.

I had a JL Cooper PPS100 and I wasn't impressed - it was much fussier about the timecode quality compared to the Fostex 4050 it replaced or the MOTU Digital Timepiece that replaced it. I bought the PPS100 because I wanted something that would send Midi Timecode (MTC) as opposed to the Song Position Pointer/Clock that the Fostex produced but the Fostex was far more reliable.

Nowadays I'd take a look at Reaper's timecode reading/generating capabilities. There's some information on how to set it up at Reaper LTC/MTC Setup — Anthony Miller Design

Back