Mic help and understanding, please

eeieeio

Newbie back again, been learning alot thanks to you guys. I picked up a Studio projects C-1 mic locally for $100.00. Just the mic and nothing else. Hoping you guys can shed some light and school me some more. Ok, here goes.

There are two switches on the mic each with three settings. "Flat" represents the middle stock setting on the mics.

75 -flat- 150
10db -flat- 20db

What do these numbers mean and how would/could the various settings help me in recording.

Also as long as we're talking mics although the C-1 doesn't have these options what are the differences in these "patterns" ...

Cardioid - Omni - Figure 8

... and how do the relate to what instrument I'm recording. Some examples of what pattern would/might best suit what recording conditions would be great. Rememeber, I'm new, tech talk needs to be dumbed down for yours truly.

Thanks very much. I'd like to contribute more to the form but I'm very much in learning mode and at this time better serve the board by reading and learning and keeping my yap shut about things I don't know .. yet :)

Jodi

the 75 and 150 refer to bass cut up to those frequencies. useful for recording things without very much bass...like vocals and guitars. it can really make space in the mix.

the 10 and 20 refer to volume cut. you would use these when recording extremely loud sources to keep your gain structure in check.

as far as polar patterns, there is a sticky at the top of the microphone forum you can check out.

Thanks,

Ok, so here's a dumb and dumber question. What cuts the bass frequency more 75 or 150? I'm asking because I can't use the mic until I get a phantom power unit.

I'll check out that other thread as well.

Thanks again.

eeieeio said:
What cuts the bass frequency more 75 or 150?

The number (most likely) refers to the frequency below which the cut comes into play. That is: on the 75 setting, it cuts frequencies below 75 Hz; at the 150 setting, it cuts frequencies below 150 Hz. One thing to note is that it doesn't work like a brick wall. It starts rolling off at about 75 (or 150) and reduces the level more and more as the frequency gets lower.

For reference, if you want to know where these frequencies are:
- The fundamental of the second-lowest D on a piano (or the D string of a bass) is about 75 Hz. Note also that this is two semi-tones below the lowest note of a normally-tuned guitar.
- The fundamental of the D an octave above that (which would be the D string on a guitar) is about 150 Hz.

In other words, they're both fairly low. If you're not producing musical-type sounds below that frequency, the bass rolloff is useful, because it will help to reduce whatever non-musical-type sounds you're picking up below that frequence (like thumps and bumps).

Depending on your voice (or that of whomever you're recording), you might want to use the 150 for singing. The 75 would make sense for recording a normal guitar. You could also use it for recording a piano, if you happen to be doing that, at least so long as you're not playing those really low notes way off to the left. If you're using a wind screen and aren't bumping into the mic stand, you could also forego using the bass rolloff altogether. It may have some effect on the sound other than just rolling the bass off. Then again, you might like the other effect.

Try it out and see what works best.

Back